Chapter 1 - Of Gentle Partings

Lance and Juliet laid on the damp, muddy ground listening to the wind whistling through the trees. Their hands remained clasped in each other's. Juliet thought she would've had an aneurism by now, considering how horrible she looked in the presence of perfect Lance. But, she felt strangely at peace. Her appearance wasn't bothering her, and Juliet didn't want to peer into the dark recesses of her soul to figure out why. Some things were better left a mystery.

Perhaps she wouldn't have to look too far though. Lance had spent the entire time alternating between looking up at the canopy of trees and at Juliet. There was an awed look on his face, as though he was in the presence of ultimate beauty, and the look wasn't there only when he was looking at the willow trees.

Juliet didn't want to break the peaceful silence between them, but she impatiently wanted to know more about this mysterious, soft-spoken boy.

"What school do you go to?" Juliet's voice sounded overly loud among the quiet, and she cringed at it. Maybe she shouldn't have said anything at all.

Lance's eyes shifted from the green leaves and grey sky and to look at Juliet. He smiled slightly, a fond look on his face. What could he possibly be fond about? He barely knows me, thought Juliet.

"I'm done school," he said, eyes shifting back to the dark sky.

"Done school? Oh you mean high school. Me too. Are you going to university?" Juliet was eager to know the answer, though she wondered if she was asking too many questions.

"No, I hope you don't think differently of me, but I'm actually done university."

Juliet couldn't fathom the thought that Lance was older than her, much older it seemed to have finished university, so she asked, "How old are you?"

Lance sat up and disentangled their entwined fingers. He wrapped his arms around his legs and spoke towards his knees, "Eight-teen."

She couldn't resist the reference.

"How long have you been eight-teen?"

Lance looked at her blankly.

"A couple of months," he murmured, looking confused.

"Sorry, Twilight reference." Lance cocked his head to the side, still not understanding so Juliet changed the topic. "That make you a genius or something?"

"Or something."

"Cool." Juliet smiled signature smile number 15: Your comfort is all I expect. It worked. Lance's eyes brightened and he reached for Juliet's hand again. She let him hold it for a little while longer until a breeze came by that caused her to shiver. Time to go home, she thought disappointed. She wanted to spend more time with him.

"I think I'm going to head home. Dresses and chilly days don't really mix." Juliet stood up and looked down at Lance. He still hadn't let go of her hand, and seemed saddened that he would have to eventually. Juliet's spirits lifted. He didn't want to part either.

"Come on. Walk me home."

Lance immediately stood, "How could I not... I mean... Of course I'll walk you home. I can't believe I forgot...." Lance berated himself for his lack of manners. He leaned down and picked up his leather bound notebook, never once letting go of Juliet's hand.

Juliet looked between them at their hands and then smiled to herself. They began the walk to Juliet's house, the rain only a slight drizzle. The cold wind had picked up though, whipping Juliet's golden hair across her face and raising goose bumps on her bare arms. Lance stopped suddenly and let go of Juliet's hand, leaving her feeling oddly bereft.