Chapter 4 - Of Airless Breaths

Free falling was an unexpected rush. As she fell, all of Juliet's worries melted away. All that remained was the feel of air whistling through her hair and the dark night stretching above her for miles. She felt weightless. Nothing could touch her in the sparse seconds spent descending. She was above it all.

Of course, all things must end. In Juliet's case it was hitting the ground. Now, don't get her wrong, Lance made a valiant attempt to catch her, but it was not to be. The force of Juliet's weight pushed Lance to the ground with a thud, and all of the air was knocked from her lungs.

They both lay on the ground for a moment attempting to regain their breath. Lance managed to get it back first, and when he did he began to laugh. His arm wrapped around Juliet and squeezed as he threw his back and howled with laughter.

As Juliet listened to Lance's laughter she began to giggle. Soon they were both splitting their sides, tears springing to their eyes.

Once their snickers died down however, they noticed their predicament. Juliet lay on top of Lance, body rising and falling with each breath he took. Her chest pressed up against his, and their legs were hopelessly tangled.

They were close enough to share the same air. Their lips were a hair's breadth away, breath mingling together. Juliet gulped and looked up into Lance's eyes. Passionate emotions swirled amongst the blue. Her gaze moved down to his lips. They were a full in a perfect cupid's bow. Juliet licked her lips and residue lipstick. She wondered how his lips would taste.

She wanted to kiss him.

"I told you I wouldn't let you hit the ground." The words were spoken up against Juliet's lips, his breath acting as a gentle caress.

"Ya. But you did." Juliet had always wanted to be contrary with someone. Her entire life was spent never arguing and silently fuming behind her smile.

"Yes. But you didn't."

His white smile was stark contrast to the darkness of the night. It knocked the air out of Juliet's lungs, and she felt like she was falling all over again.

"Now, let's get going," said Lance as he gently removed Juliet from on top of him. He stood up and extended a hand to Juliet's still sprawled form. She placed her hand in his, his large one engulfing hers. Once secure he gave her a seemingly effortless tug that raised her to her feet.

"Going where?" Juliet thought to ask once Lance began to lead her away from her house and onto the sidewalk. He still hadn't let go of her hand, and Juliet threaded their fingers together to ensure he wouldn't.

"To eat. That is, if you haven't eaten yet." Lance turned to look at Juliet questioningly.

The night shimmered around them, stars sparkling in the sky. An owl hooted nearby, and the full moon above them shone brightly. They were the only two people on the street, scarcely illuminated by a pale yellow streetlight.

Juliet thought back to her tasteless dinner.

"Not a thing. I'm starving."

***

The pair ended up in a retro-themed diner. They slid into a vinyl yellow booth, sitting across from each other. With their every movement the seats crackled beneath them. The tables were a garish orange, and slightly sticky. In the corner rested a juke-box which was playing a popular 80s song. Juliet listened closer and found it was actually Like a Virgin by Madonna. She snickered slightly to herself at the song selection.

How fitting, she thought.

An older woman, probably around 50 years old came roller blading up to Lance and Juliet's table. Her red lipstick was all over her teeth, cheeks painted a horrible pink, and her eye shadow was dark blue. She suited the diner; she looked every bit the part.

"What can I get for yus, young'uns?" She said, smacking her bubble gum. She peered unconcernedly at her manicure, apparently bored with their presence.

"Can we get two burgers and a plate of fries? Is that okay Juliet?" Lance ordered, not even glancing at the plastic menus on the table before them.

"Oh I don't eat the sort of thing," said Juliet. She refused to look into Lance's eyes, lest she spill something she didn't want to.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. Then what would you like to eat Juliet?" Lance didn't seem to notice that Juliet was avoiding his eyes, yet he caught her gaze so easily.

With great effort Juliet tore her eyes away from his and mumbled to the waitress, "Do you have like a salad or something?"

"Alrighty. A salad or something and a burger with fries comin' right up." The lady rolled away, obnoxiously dinging the bell on the far counter every time she passed.

"Hey, what song do you want to listen to?" Lance asked as he got up from his seat to make his way to the juke box.

"What?" Juliet answered looking up from where she was inspecting the linoleum floor distastefully.

"What song do you want to listen to?" Lance repeated patiently, smiling down at Juliet fondly. She gazed up at where he was standing from underneath her lashes.

"I dunno. Whatever you want, I guess."

Lance walked over to the juke box and pulled a quarter from his pocket. Juliet watched him from the table, making sure to keep her eyes on him at all times. She didn't want him to disappear. After Lance inserted the coin he leaned down and began to fiddle with the controls, giving Juliet a perfect view of his more than favourable assets. Juliet quickly averted her eyes.

Down girl.

Soon a soft melody played from the juke box, following Lance as he sat across from Juliet once more. A male voice warbled out of the music player.

You ask how much I need you, must I explain?

"What song is this?" It was old sounding, as though coming directly from a record.

You ask how long I'll love you, I'll tell you true.

"The twelfth of never by Johnny Mathis. It's my favourite song. Although, most people my age don't really like it." Lance looked expectantly at Juliet and she didn't know how to respond.

Is he seeking reassurance or acceptance? wondered Juliet.

"Well, I like it." And Juliet was not lying. She really did like the song. It was different than the pop music her friends listened to. The best part though was when Juliet said those words Lance's face brightened. He reached across the sticky table and placed his hand atop hers. The pair held hands and listened to the sweet music until their food arrived.

Until the twelfth of never and that's a long long time.