Chapter 2 - Of Perfect Families

Juliet returned back to the house when she could no longer see Lance. She spent more time than was healthy watching his fading profile. She knew that she was in for an earful from her mother, but her forehead tingled where Lance had kissed her, and she found it was worth it.

"Juliet! How could you do that?" Juliet's mother stormed up to her and grabbed her upper arm, aggravating the already bleeding nail marks. She began to yell at Juliet while Juliet simply nodded and attempted to look "chastised".

The neighbours had begun to peek out their curtains to see what the commotion was about. Juliet's mother immediately stopped yelling. She stood straight and smoothed out first her clothes, then Juliet's.

"Let's talk about this inside."

"Of course mother," Juliet murmured.

"Didn't I tell you not to mumble? It's not lady-like." The vice grip had returned to Juliet's upper arm. I wonder if I'll have bruises, thought Juliet.

"Of course mother," Juliet repeated, making sure to enunciate every word clearly. Her mother smile down at her, satisfied.

Juliet and her mother walked into the house, the door closing behind them with finality. Her mother released her arm, and gave Juliet a shark-like smile – all teeth. Juliet smiled back respectfully, making sure to crinkle her eyes so it would look realistic.

"I don't want you to see that boy again." Juliet's mother's tone brokered no argument.

"But mother–"

"No. He's already got you talking back to me. He is clearly not a good influence."

"Please mother! You don't even know him!" Juliet's voice rose higher and higher, bordering on hysterics. She gripped the front of her mother's dress, creasing the fabric.

Her mother leaned down and seized Juliet's hands, ripping them cruelly away, "Enough!"

Juliet clutched her hands to her body as her mother smoothed the wrinkles out of her dress.

"Now. Go upstairs and get changed for dinner. You're a mess and some important people are coming. Don't embarrass me." Juliet's mother smiled at her and made shooing motion.

Juliet nodded her head, and made her way up the stairs. On the top step, she hesitated though and looked down at her mother. Even from the top of the stairs, the flask her mother was taking long drags from was clearly visible. Juliet turned her head away in disgust and continued to her room.

She had to get ready for dinner.

***

Juliet put the finishing touches on her hair. It cascaded down her back like spun gold. She looked into the mirror at her flawless make-up. All her blemishes were covered by layers of foundation, her eye lashes were long with false lashes that created shadows on her cheeks when she blinked, her cheeks were reddened with blush, and her lips were pink and perfectly coloured.

She looked beautiful.

She looked like someone she didn't know.

She looked fake.

She was hideous.

Juliet took a watery breath that wavered in the still air of her room. She knew she had to go downstairs soon to welcome the "important people". But, she didn't want anyone to see her like this. This wasn't who she was. She longed to return to that moment in the park. Covered in mud, make-up running, hair a mess, and gazing up at a boy who looked at her as though she was the most beautiful thing in the world. But, she would meet him again. That she knew. After all, she did have his shirt. Juliet turned and stared at the shirt hanging on a hook behind her door. It was hopelessly ruined. Dirty, dishevelled, and worn-out – all because of her. Lance would be better off without the shirt in his possession. She should just throw it away.

Hah. That would be the day.

"Juliet dear! Mr. and Mrs. Clement are almost here. What is taking so long?" called Juliet's mother from downstairs, slightly irritated.

"Coming mother!" Juliet immediately stood up, her grey, lace dress flowing around her. She took one last look at herself in the mirror. Then she smiled. It transformed her previously impassive face. She became sweet, kind, and most of all, perfect. Then she made her way down the steps taking her place at her mother's side just as the doorbell rang. She barely spared a glance at her brother, James, who was dressed to the nines with a pressed suit, shined shoes, and slicked back hair. Her father was dressed exactly the same as her brother. All of them were the picture of radiance.

The perfect family, indeed.

Their maid opened the door and at the same time, Juliet's entire family chimed, "Welcome."

In walked a couple and a teenage boy who screamed elegance. The older male, Mr. Clement Juliet presumed, wore a blue Ermenegildo Zegna Bespoke suit, valued at $22 000 (Juliet knew her expensive suits). The female, Mrs. Clement, wore an elegant black dress that couldn't be anything other than Versace. The real kicker was her eleven carat diamond necklace. Juliet's mother understated when she said "important". Juliet's eyes moved to the teenage boy. Like his father he was dressed in an expensive, ridiculously so, suit. Around his wrist however, was a simple and faded leather band.

Huh. Maybe this dinner wouldn't be all that bad, after all.

"It is a pleasure to meet you," said Juliet's mother, shaking each visitor's hand in turn. Her eyes sparkled at the prospect of achieving friendship with such high-class people.

"The pleasure is all mine," said Mrs. Clement. It didn't seem like her pleasure at all, though. In fact, her lips seemed to want to twist into a disgusted sneer, but remained in a disaffected smile. Perhaps sneering was below her. If she didn't want to spend time with people she clearly perceived to be below her, why was she here?

"Jim! So good to see you," said Mr. Clement jovially, leaning in to embrace Juliet's dad. Jim and Mr. Clement spend a few moments doing the odd male back pat hug. They seemed excited to see each other.

Well, that explains why they're here, thought Juliet.

"Come let me show you the den before we eat." Jim led Mr. Clement down the hall and into the den, probably to smoke a cigar before dinner.

"Conner dear," coughed Mrs. Clement and Conner, the son presumably, jolted from his previous bored posture. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet box. He walked forward directly in front of Juliet, who shared an unsure look with her mother.

"I got you something. Hope you like it, I guess." Conner pulled the lid off the box and inside rested a stunning pearl bracelet. Juliet's breath lodged in her throat. She snuck a quick glance at her mother, who was looking at the scene with gleeful expectation. Her brother, James, on the other hand was monitoring the situation with trepidation.

Juliet reached out and gently pulled the bracelet from the box. The pearls were smooth, and glimmered when the light hit them. Conner helped her put the bracelet on, closing the clasp and resting his fingers on her wrist a moment longer than required. Whilst he did that, Juliet got another glimpse of his leather band. She found she couldn't help remarking on it.

"That's a wonderful band."

"Thanks. It's Versace. Meant to look retro."

Juliet nodded at his explanation. She didn't know why she expected anything else. She felt as though her smile might become brittle, but it remained as bright as always. She pulled her hand out of Conner's grasp and let it fall to the side.

"The bracelet is beautiful. I love it."

She hated it.