Chapter 4

MONDAY

Wolfgang opened the door to the smiling face of Nadine.

"Welcome back, fourth grader," he said drily, letting her in. He immediately handed her a sheet with writing.

Nadine frowned. "What's this?"

"A to-do list," replied Wolfgang, matter-of-factly.

"To-do list...?"

"Yup. Y'know, errands, chores, meals that I have to cook...What? You can't expect me to do all of that in my condition." He pointed to his bandaged ankle for emphasis.

"Uh...of course not..."

"Exactly. So get cracking, fourth grader," he said, making a beeline for the couch and turning on the TV.

Nadine looked at Wolfgang, then at the list, then back at Wolfgang. "Butterfly...butterfly...butterfly..." was her mantra as she rolled up her sleeves and prepared to get to work.

Wolfgang smiled to himself. She wants to help, I'll let her help. I'll work her so hard she'll be begging to get away from me. Heheheh...

Later in the day, Nadine was dusting the living room while Wolfgang remained on the couch, sipping a cold drink through a straw. At some point, he shook the glass so that the ice would clink audibly.

"Fourth Grader, my drink needs a refill. Also, my pillow needs fluffing."

Nadine walked over to Wolfgang, fluffed his pillow, and took the glass from his hand.

"I have a name, you know. Just call me Nadine."

"Oh, I forgot – could you change the channel for me?"

"Didn't you just have the rem-?"

Wolfgang pointed the remote control, now on the ground next to the television. Nadine walked over to the remote, but when she bent down to pick it up, she felt something soft and fluffy hit her on the head. She turned around just in time to see Wolfgang with his hands behind his back, whistling nonchalantly, the pillow noticeably absent. When she glared he glared back. "Hey, where's my Yahoo soda? I'm dying of thirst over here!"

Nadine slapped the remote control into Wolfgang's open palm, turned on her heel, and marched away. "Butterfly...butterfly...butterfly..." was what she repeated to herself as she went into the kitchen to get Wolfgang his refill.

Wolfgang laughed, content that his ruse was working. At that moment, however, a spider descended down from the ceiling and stopped just in front of Wolfgang's nose.

"Aaah!" Wolfgang, startled, jumped onto the edge of the couch, and ending up falling over on the other side. "KILL IT! KILL IT!"

Nadine reappeared from the kitchen, sliding into the living room with a cold Yahoo soda in one hand and a broom in the other. "What is it?!"

Nadine followed the screaming back to the couch, where the giant black spider now occupied the same space Wolfgang had originally. Nadine rolled her eyes. "Relax. It's just a harmless house spider." She grabbed the spider by the web, opened a nearby window, and gently lowered it into the garden below the windowsill.

She walked back over to the couch, looked over at the now whimpering Wolfgang, and asked, sweetly. "Would you like me to fluff your pillow for you?"

WEDNESDAY

Nadine came over again with a sealed flat white box.

"I've noticed you're always alone when I come over," remarked Nadine as they made their way to the kitchen.