Chapter 10 - Epilogue

"Faster, Roo, faster!"

Wolfgang ran down the hill, carrying his little sister on shoulders. She laughed in glee as the wind whipped through her messy blonde curls, causing the butterfly necklace to dance in the air behind her. When they got to the bottom of the hill, Wolfgang lifted her high above his head and ran about in circles; his sister stretched her arms out from her side and mimicked an airplane, making sound effects.

When they were done with that game, Wolfgang took his sister and threw her up in the air a few times. After the last toss-up, Wolfgang snuggled his sister close to her body and ruffled his hand through her hair, causing her to giggle uncontrollably.

Nadine stood at a distance, setting up their picnic on the blanket she had laid out. She caught Wolfgang's eye and both he and his sister waved at her. Nadine smiled and waved back.

She thought about it often. A fourth-grader and fifth-grader. Friends. Possibly more than friends. Rhonda took it surprisingly well, but what about everyone else? Given their history, how would everyone react to her being involved with the biggest tyrant at P.S. 118?

Wolfgang's sister pointed to the laid-out picnic, and he nodded in compliance. He set his sister in the nearby wheelchair and rolled her over to where Nadine was now sitting.

Now's not the time for that, thought Nadine. Let's just enjoy this moment.

After their lunch, the three of them splayed out on the grass and watched as the clouds sailed by.

"Lookit, Roo," pointed Wolfgang's sister enthusiastically. "A bunny rabbit!"

"Good one!" responded Wolfgang. "I see...a fire engine."

"And what do you see, Nadee?" his sister asked.

"Two scarab beetles fighting over a mound of dung."

"Ewwwwwww!" cried the sister, tapering off into a fit of giggles.

"What?" said Nadine when she saw Wolfgang staring at her, but he just shook his head and smiled. As he laid back on the grass, he casually linked his hand with hers.

"You certainly are a strange one, Fourth Grader."

THE END