Confessions

The night air blew cold, though Nico's words continued to linger.

"I wish for you." The words repeated in her mind over and over, as she expected them to be repeating in Maki's mind as well. Maki stood before her, but Nico refused to look up to meet her gaze. Was this a mistake? Should she have suppressed her feelings like every other time before? The amount of time standing there in silence felt like an eternity, when Nico suddenly felt a warmth surround her. It was Maki, and she had wrapped her arms around Nico and pulled her into a hug.

"M-Maki-" Nico started to say, but was interrupted.

"It's okay."

Nico was about to speak, to let her emotions out through words, but stopped herself and nuzzled against Maki and enjoyed her warm embrace. They stood together like this for what felt like a beautiful eternity. Maki released Nico from her grasp, looking down and smiling at the blushing girl in front of her.  "Let's get our things." She took Nico's hand and they began to walk back into the building, side by side. They walked in silence.

The two girls retrieved their things, occasionally meeting each others' eyes, followed by a deep blush from both of them. They continued like this the whole way home. Maki walked Nico to her house first.

"G-good night.." Maki muttered, another blush running across her face. Nico stood in front of her, her eyes focused on the ground, a blush also covering her cheeks.

"Good night." Nico said softly, her voice shaking slightly. Suddenly, Maki stepped toward her, embracing her once more. This time, she pressed her lips against Nico's forehead. Nico let out a sound of surprise, looking up for once to understand fully what was happening. Maki's soft hair brushed against Nico's face. She smelled like strawberries. When she pulled away, her sweet smell lingered. Nico was speechless. Instead of speaking useless words, Nico grinned. "Good night." She repeated, this time in a joyful tone. The heaviness on her heart was lifted, knowing that Maki had returned her feelings.

Maki continued to her own home, walking steadily and happily. She had a small smile on her face, and when the memories of the recent events flashed through her mind, she would feel herself blush as well. She only wished that the night never had to end. She wanted to hold Nico's hand longer, embrace her once more, kiss her...

Maki returned home, quietly making her way to her room. Once she was cozy in bed, she felt her phone vibrate. She was still wide awake, her mind livid with the events of that night. She didn't read the message right away. She lay there, staring at her ceiling. She was deep in her imagination. However, what she didn't know was that the message was from Nico.

"I like you."