Chapter 3

Padme woke up and gasped. "No, no, no it was just a dream. It couldn't be real." She sat up and looked around. She was in her room. She sat up in the bed and a headache rang in her ears. She stood up and ignored the pain. She opened the door. She walked down the hall into the grand room. High ranking Naboo officers were gathered. Her mother appeared from the crowd and led them into a conference room. Padme started to walk and follow the group into the room. Her mother popped back out of the room and stopped her.

"You are looking less pale than before, so that's good." She said while caressing Padme's face. "These are the officials you need to renew your papers too. They are going to ask you questions and just relax and never once let them ask you about your pregnancy. They are going to think of you less because you are a woman and are having a child, but be my child than I raised you and show them who's boss!" she nodded and Padme walked into the room. All eyes were on her stomach. Blasted! Why did my stomach have to be so big! She felt as if fifty pounds was on her stomach. She found her seat and sat down. Her stomach was touching the table from being so large. The room was filled with men. They were of many species, but not one female. They were burly and tough looking. Padme felt very small.

"Mrs. Amidala it is nice to see you back." One of the men spoke, "Please stand in the podium we have a few questions to ask you."
"Okay," Padme gulped and stood up by the podium. She rested her hand on the podium and her stomach felt the cool wood.
"So why do you want to continue being our senator?" one man asked.

"Well since I was queen of Naboo at the age of fourteen, I understand how this planet works and what its needs are." She answered. Many questions followed.

"Yes, but you are..." he stared at her, "um expecting, wouldn't you be off duty for a few months? And you are a woman and like to take you time? Wouldn't it make sense to give up the position for a year?"

Padme's face turned red, "No just because I am a woman doesn't mean I can't do a man's work. So what if I am expecting, I can still work, even in this condition! I am not going to give up my position just because of this small economic bump in the road we are in right now."
"I would say a large bump by the looks of you." A man snickered.

Padme was furious. "Do I get renewal or not?" They unwillingly chose her again and she signed paperwork. She fled the room. She ran (as fast a pregnant lady can) out of the castle into the back gardens. Her mother followed her to the door. She rested her hand on the doorframe and whispered to herself, "Stay safe Padme, you will be fine."