Chapter 2

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.
___________________________________________________________________
I don't really remember much from my first night in Hogwarts. Like I said before, I started a month earlier than the rest of the students, so the castle was basically mine to explore with no holdings back. No teachers, no other students, even no Draco.

It took me two weeks to see every single room in the castle in detail. It sounds like I didn't have a life at the beginning of the year, but to be honest, I didn't. My twin brother wasn't with me, my best friend was at home and Dean... Well, I don't even know what we are, never mind where he is.

The other reason I felt the need to memorise the castle was because I was surrounded by Death Eaters. Snape was in charge and although I got along with him, it took all of my strength not to retaliate to his snide remarks. There was only four of us there, and the other two were some of my least favourite people. The Carrow siblings.

Yay life...

I can't remember the many things they told me about punishments. I think if I tried hard enough, I would be able to, but it was too horrible for me to process, so I think I have subconsciously pushed it from my mind. They had seemed too excited for my liking, and I hated every second I had to spend in their company.

**

Nothing else really happened in the time I had to spend in the castle alone. The real drama arrived when all the students started arriving. The Dark Lord had installed more rules than I could have imagined. Turns out that I wasn't the only one that was shocked though.

"Why do you feel the need to have to feel me up on my entrance to the castle?" Longbottom asked the caretaker rather loudly. I stifled my laugh, putting my face in my hands, hoping no one would realise what I was doing. After a few seconds, I looked up to see Longbottom smirking at me.

"I'm not feeling you up boy. Anyway, how do we know that you don't have Dark objects on you?" Filch replied, his face threatening, but his voice sounded nervous. From which part of the sentence, I'm not too sure. Even now.

"Why would I be stupid enough to keep Dark objects on me? Surely, I would put them in my trunk or have someone else keep hold of them for me..." he trailed off. Filch's eyes went wide before he ran over to Longbottom's trunk.

"I think you had him fooled there," I tell him, laughing slightly as I remember Filch's face when Longbottom asked him the question.

"Well, I wasn't too keen on him feeling up my leg like that. Why is it necessary anyway?" he smiled, coming to stand next to me and watch Filch at the same time.

"Dunno. I think they're just wary that the kids are gonna spite them. Snape won't have anywhere near the same control over the students that Dumbledore did last year," I tell him, my voice cracking, and betraying me, when I mention Dumbledore's name.

"I know it's none of my business, but is it true that you came to Dumbledore's funeral, even after the...Astronomy Tower?" he asked, his eyes focused on his shoes.

"Yeah. I didn't want to be in the Astronomy Tower that night. I felt like I owed him an apology. Plus, he tried to save my life. I couldn't owe more to that man right now," I whisper, noticing some of the students staring at me. Or in the case of Ben and Toby, glaring.

"At least you'll admit that. Most people would cower behind the mark and solely swear they never set foot near Dumbledore..."

"Trust me, I'm known for speaking my mind. Especially about the Death Eaters and the Dark Lord. I hate being a part of this, and it's all my father's fault anyway," I tell him, not completely sure why I'm being so honest with him.