Chapter 4

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

___________________________________________________________________

"I don't think you realise how much trouble you could get in for this!" Draco shouted, making a scene of pushing me into an empty classroom.

"I don't think you quite realise that I'm doing this for the good of everyone!" I yelled back, my temper flaring. The thing that bugged me the most was that he had been turning a blind eye to everything that the Carrows had done in the past few months. It was almost Christmas, and thanks to him they'd got away with a lot more than they should have done.

"Yeah, but you might get found out one day! You're not doing the things that they want you to do and I don't want to lose you!" he yelled, his voice cracking towards the end. My anger seeped away and I walked over to my twin and hugged him.

"You don't have to worry about me. I'm doing this for everyone. Plus, I need something to take my mind off the fact that I hardly have any friends here now..." I trailed off. Cho's parents had taken her out of Hogwarts just after Halloween and Dean hadn't even returned for his seventh year. I was making out like it didn't bother me, but considering everyone else hates me, that's kind of difficult.

"Hey, I'm your older brother. If I don't look out for you then there would be no point in me being here at all," he smiled, pulling me in for another hug. "I'd help you out with the Carrows, but they seem to hate me, and don't even try to lie, you know it too."

I nodded, not being able to argue the point. Every time they saw Draco they sent him a glare and pulled their wands out threateningly. I didn't get it though. They congratulated me on the 'completion' of our mission but called Draco a traitor. Weirdos...

"One more day and we'll be out of here for two weeks. I talked to Snape and he agreed to let you spend the time at home because of how early you came to Hogwarts in the summer. You won't have to worry about anything while we're there either, I'll be right by your side-"

"I know that. You turned into my Siamese twin during the summer holidays. I think if you'd have ignored me over Christmas I would have been more worried," I joked, trying to lighten the mood between us slightly.

Every possible chance we'd had to talk in the past few months had been horrible. It was like we couldn't get along anymore. No matter what our conversation started out with, we would end up yelling at each other and someone would have to intervene so we didn't hex each other into oblivion.

He sent me a weak smile and started walking over to the door. Even if we'd had our first conversation in a long time where it didn't end in us arguing, we still felt awkward around each other, which is very strange for us. We'd been best friends for 17 years before this, and I missed that feeling. In a way it felt like someone had taken my left arm and was just dangling it above my head. It was so close yet so far at the same time.

"Hey, Drake," I said, causing him to turn around and look at me. "I miss us."

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes and was refusing to let them spill over. I knew Draco could see my inner battle and he rushed over, pulling me into another hug. Even though it had been a sign of comfort on his part, my tears finally started flowing down my cheeks.

"Hey, everything will sort itself out. If he sees us breaking down he will just take pleasure. We've got to show him that we're stronger than he thinks," Draco whispered, holding onto me tighter.

I took in a deep breath and wiped my cheeks, looking into Draco's eyes for the first time in months. It was then that I realised how different he looked.