Chapter 9

I feel that it is entirely necessary to apologize to all of you right now, and tell you how bad I feel for only updating this now. I can't give you a good explanation, to be honest, and anything will just feel like an excuse anyways. But, it's been a rough year for me. I've recently been writing a bit, which you may have noticed with the other short story I published here. For some reason though, this was hard to return to. I went back and I edited all of the previous chapters (there's really no reason to reread them). And now, I return to you officially with a new, albeit short, chapter. I hope you enjoy it, and I will definitely be updating this more regularly. Thank you, and I love you guys. <3 - Yee  

         Chapter Nine

     Baekhyun groaned as he made his way down the stairs the next morning, slippered feet dragging against the polished wood and his thin fingers absently digging sleep from his eyes.  The light that filtered in from the oversized windows was dim as it fell in scattered patterns across the art covered walls, the intricately woven carpet resting at the foot of the steps where two maids stood, clad in black and white uniforms and pleasant smiles.  They were young and beautiful, and they bowed deeply once he reached them, his own form reciprocating despite what his father had always said about bowing to the help.

  "Miss Hyunsook is already making breakfast, Young Master Baekhyun," the taller of the two informed him with a gentle and respectful tone, her silky black hair styled around her face conservatively.  "Could we get you anything in the meantime?"

     He smiled.  "No.  Thank you, Victoria, Luna."  They bowed again, wishing him a good morning before making their way to their assigned duties.  Baekhyun slipped the book bag off of his shoulder, setting it down neatly by the front door before starting off down the hall.  He slipped his way through the double doors quietly, immediately basking in the smell of freshly baked muffins.  It was a scent he had come to associate with his caretaker over the years, Hyunsook often indulging his sweet tooth more than she should, perhaps.

  "You're up early," the woman chuckled, turning away from the counter where she was chopping fresh fruit on a wooden cutting board, the smell of strawberries and melon mixing with that of the blueberry filled bread in the oven.

  "Good morning to you too," he grinned tiredly, taking a sip of the orange juice she pushed in front of him.  "I'm meeting the foreign exchange students this morning.   It's their first day."  Baekhyun set the glass down, running a hand over his face as Hyunsook went back to the fruit.

  "Students from China, right?"  She was quite possibly the only person in his family that listened when he talked, let alone took an interest in what he talked about, no matter how small it might have been.  He couldn't help the smile that found its way to his lips as Hyunsook passed a crystal bowl of fruit chunks to him.

  "Yep, one second year and two third years.  The older students will be here for the rest of the year, but I heard the younger is transferring officially if he likes it.  We're going to show them around the campus and help them find their classes today."  He popped a piece of watermelon into his mouth.

  "And they speak Korean?"  She took a strawberry for herself.

  "I'm not sure," Baekhyun hummed, mostly to himself, "they probably do, but Headmaster Kim didn't tell me much."

     Hyunsook chortled airily as she pulled on a pair of hot pink oven mitts from the drawer.  "Does he ever?"  She placed the fresh muffins onto a hot pad near Baekhyun, swatting at the back of his hand when he surged forward, fingers extended towards the scalding pan.

  "I'm saving you from yourself."  He pouted, but didn't try to snatch one when she turned around.  He usually would.  He didn't have a whole lot of self-restraint when it came to sugary treats.