Day One

The day after my thirteenth birthday I passed the mirror in the hall as usual. I dressed without checking my reflection in my window as I normally would, and rushed through getting ready in the bathroom, not taking the time to get a good look at myself. It was fortunate that my older sister Parker saw me bounding down the stairs, or else I would have gone to school without any indication of the situation I was in. "Hey Ivy, hold still a sec." Parker grabbed me by the shoulders and stared at my face. "You should probably go look in the mirror." I huffed. "Park, I'm late for school, if my hair is a mess, so be it." She shook her head, her eyes never having left my own. "No seriously, go look at yourself." I stomped over to the hall mirror and gave my face a once over. I hadn't been standing there long before I inhaled sharply, dumbfounded by what I saw. My right eye had turned bright purple, and the left was a soft golden color. Biting back a scream, I stiffly walked to the bathroom and brushed my bangs as far down over my eyes as I could without fully obscuring my vision. Parker pulled me towards the door and out to the bus stop, telling me it would be okay. She waved goodbye as she walked back towards the house, but I payed her no attention. I was frozen, staring straight ahead at the dying willow tree and tall grass across the road.

"Woah, Ivy! What happened to your eyes?" My friend June spotted me as soon as I entered homeroom and was immediately smitten with my new look. My other friend, Helena, walked over a few minutes later, and calmly expressed her approval. June and Helena were inseperable, though it seemed strange to most. June was short, tan, and bubbly with light blonde hair with pink tips she wore in two buns. She was always smiling, and as far as I could tell, had not stopped talking since she learned how. Helena, on the other hand was tall, slender, and graceful. She used to take ballet lessons, though she stopped because she didn't like being in the spotlight. She had silky black hair that fell down to her waist, and a calm, almost dreamy disposition that she claimed helped with her art and keeping June under control. Her voice was mellow, but she didnt talk much. She dressed in flowy, dark clothing whereas June preferred bright tank tops and athletic shorts. They had been my friends since second grade, and I couldn't imagine life without them.

I managed to get through the day without too many people noticing, thanks to my hair covering them and Helena's gift with persuasion. When I got home, I greeted my dad and showed him my eyes. He made a joke about my having technicolor vision, but didn't seem too surprised. My dad raised us on his own for most of our lives. His first wife, with whom he had Parker, died during childbirth. Then, six years later, he had remarried and had me, but the marriage fell apart and I had almost no memory of my mother. My dad was my hero, and I aspired to achieve his easygoing attitude, but I had yet to come close. Parker had already inherited it, I suppose. Instead, I was left with social anxiety and antisocial tendencies. So I guess my family being small and relaxed was more of a blessing than anything else. I ate some leftovers, brushed my teeth, and crawled into bed, hoping that whatever this was would sort itself out while I slept.