Rookie in Love [Chapter Thirteen]

Chapter Thirteen

            I have had no contact with my family for a while now and while it feels absolutely amazing, I know that it cannot go on this way forever.  My heart soars when I hear Jackson’s voice but I know that being with him is going to cost me dearly.  I have told my brothers to back off until these three weeks are up and I wait every day for the day they decide that they have waited long enough. 

            It does not surprise me that today is the day Ben decides to regain control.  After getting ready this morning, Jackson and I get into my car to head to lunch.  While driving to our little café, my phone rings through the speakers of my car.  I quickly put a finger to my lips to tell Jackson to remain silent and then answer the call with my Bluetooth device.  Ben’s voice is loud and commanding and I roll my eyes when he asks how I am doing.  Jackson notices and gives me an exaggerated curious look so I mouth the words big brother to him and he nods in understanding. 

            “Ben, I am busy.  What do you want?”  I ask and Jackson turns his head to look out the window giving me a little privacy. 

            “Madeline, I am sorry about lunch the other day.  I was really stressed and I hate to hear anything about you that is not favorable.  I was a little spun up and the way I handled it was probably not the best.”

            “I need you to back off, Ben.  I am perfectly capable of making my own choices.  I am an adult—not a little girl anymore and I wish you would respect that and stop trying to force things on me.”  I can feel my frustration with him boiling just under my skin.  I want this call over fast but I need Jackson to understand what we are up against if we stay together. 

            “You may be an adult, but you will always be my little sister.  I hardly think that I am forcing Greg on you.  Why don’t we wait to see how you feel about it once he gets home.  I think the little talk he and I had will change things for the two of you.  Dad is expecting you to accompany Greg to the office Christmas party; it will make him so happy to see you on Greg’s arm.”

            I can feel it happen, the moment I feel broken.  My shoulders slouch and I turn my head slightly so Jackson can’t see my face. “Ben, I am not going to the Christmas party with Greg.  I’m not in love with him and dragging this thing out is just causing both of us pain.”

            “Don’t be ridiculous, Madeline,” the command in Ben’s voice intensifies and I can almost feel the wave of air hit my face when Jackson snaps his head around to make eye contact with me.  His eyes are pleading with me to stick up for myself, but I know better than to fight a battle that I can’t win.  “You are going to continue to drag our family name through the mud, running around like some cheap girl with—“

            “Watch your fucking mouth,” Jackson hisses, “speak to her like that again and I will make sure you can’t speak for weeks.”

            I reach out to end the call but Jackson’s hand grips my wrists and he shakes his head no.  His hand slides down to take mine and I wait for Ben to attack. “Madeline, am I on fucking speaker phone?  Will you never learn to keep your personal life personal?  This is between you and me.”

            Jackson shifts forward in his seat.  “It was between you and Maddy until you crossed the line.”

            “Her name is Madeline, but I wouldn’t expect you to know that or care.  I have heard of your reputation; just walk away from my sister and let her be with a man that deserves her. You’ve had your fun.”