Mud Tracks

"My friends were killed by it.", I uttered the words. The man in the tent questioning me sat back.
The shade over his face making it difficult to get detail.

As far as I could tell be wore a gray suit with the sleeves rolled up. He was tolerant of me.
I was tolerant of him.

"How-"

"Just look at the bodies. ", I cut him off. These questions were the same three just rephrase and reworded. It was a stupid strategy to make sure that my answers were the same.

-'What did it do? '
-' Where were you? '
-' How come it didn't get you? '

" It's best that you cooperate as much as possible, young lady more lives are at stake. ", his temper was getting to him. I could hear it in his words.

I crossed my arms and looked till I review just what he had said.
'more live...? '

" I-I thought it was dead. ", my voice was grit. Lower than it should be for my age and state of mind!

He let out an irritated sigh, leaning into the table. His features outlined in the lamp light.
His eyes were narrowed and brows nit.

It all seemed to disappear a moment later as he relaxed his shoulders with a sigh.

"We have reason to believe that there is another one of those monsters out there...on account that my men were ambushed by it only minutes after we discovered you. None survived. Evidence caught on their body cams. ", he explained.

Another one.

"Cant those robot people destroy it like before?", I jumped the gun, his eyes narrowed at me again as if I had said the wrong thing.

"Those 'robots', you refer to-", he made a quotation gesture with his finger to emphasize his point.
"-they are enemies of the US government. They also were the reason that your friends are dead I'm afraid. ", he leaned against the table heavily." They are more a danger than these creatures.
I'm not sure if you've seen just all of those monsters that attacked the city countless times. ", his voice dropped an octave.

" What can you do that they already can't? ", I felt compelled to ask.

Any answers for my own sake was better than none. My friends were dead because of some giant monster! I at least wanted to know why. They were all dead, I looked away at the empact of the feelings.

My cou-no I can't.
I can't fall.
Not now...not here...especially not here.

I can't grieve now.
That could what.

"We can do anything they can little girl. ", he took offense to my question. I narrowed my own eyes to him. He reminded me of this military woman I saw in a movie once." None of that is for civilian ears now is it though?", he tried to taunt me with his knowledge.

" As far as you family is concerned you still safe as are...the deceased.", he quickly changed subject; the words something he said often as they didn't shake with patronizations or a condescending manner.

" This never happened. ", I felt dull siting there, he went over a procedure of protocol, basically what I just said only with more hypothetical points.

From what I was supposed to say to the cops to keep their army shit under wraps was that there was an animal attack and I survived to make a phone call and wait for the cops.

My arms felt chills, I had removed the plastic cover and left myself exposed to the cold air in the tent.

"Not one word is to be breathed else we will be forced to tie loose ends.", I simply nodded.

My arms were numb and fingers tingled at the constant waves of chills. I ignored it and nodded to his protocal.

The hole in my head wanted to know what could be done now.

When their families found out, I would be dubbed an omen or something odd, a freak or death sentence. The hole in my chest didn't flinch at remebering that my friends were dead. Hole in eyes didn't blink as all I wanted was to never feel it.

I didn't want to feel the pain, I'd never felt real loss and didn't know how to deal with it, so why not ignoring it?

"I want to be there. ", I say interrupting his rant I didn't give a damn about.

" What?", he sounded smug.

I looked up at him, glaring.

It must have been fierce as he flinched back. "I want to be there when it's killed. I want to see it die.", I was always a freak, why not embrace it?

Why not fall into the false lies that spun around everyone's heads about me?

"Your a civilian, there is no way in hell that we would allow an unarmed teenage girl out, let alone a civilian. ", he pressed forward, his weight on the table.

" I thought Im not here. ", I say.
He caught my line.