Chapter 9:

"If you are in there I just want to let you know. I agree with everything you just said. We are the future. Unfortunately you killed my mother." Erik then produced a coin.

"Erik. Don't. It won't bring your mother back." I was having trouble breathing. "And it won't stop the pain." I coughed more blood. I was bleeding out.

"This is what we are going to do." He paid no attention to me. " I am going to count to 3 and I am going to move the coin." The coin floated it's way to Shaw. '1...2...3." The coin entered into Shaw's head and I knew Charles would have felt it. The coin appeared at the back of his head and fell to the ground.

"Erik." He walked over to me and picked me up bridal style. I gritted my teeth as pain burned in my body. Shaw's body floated up and Erik carried me to the entrance. We floated out. Shaw positioned like he was tied to a cross.

"Today our fighting stops." I couldn't do anything. I was too weak. I watched as Shaw's body dropped to the floor.

"Erik. Please. Don't hurt anyone else." Erik lowered us down until he was walking on the beach.

"Take off your blinders brothers and sisters. The real enemy is out there." He pointed towards the sea where thousands of men stood on ships. Thousands of innocent men. "I feel their guns moving in the water. Their metal targeting us. Americans. Soviets. Humans. United in their fear of the unknown. The neanderthal is running scared my fellow mutants!" Charles walked next to Erik.

"Go ahead Charles. Tell me I am wrong." Charles raised his hand to his temples. I saw Alex looking at me. He wanted to get me but I shook my head at him. I was going to die anyway. 

Charles lowered his hand and looked horrified. Oh no. Charles nodded to Moira and she ran to the crashed plane. Erik looked down at me.

"Never have I met someone like me." He was referring to how Shaw killed both our parents.

"Erik. Please put me down. It hurts when you walk." He nodded and lowered me to the ground. Raven ran to me and inspected the wound.

"Don't worry. The pipe is blocking some of the blood." Raven had tears in her eyes. Both our heads looked at the sea when we heard all the missiles fired. Erik put up his hand and they all came to a stop. 

"Erik, don't." I knew what he intended to do. All the missiles turned around.

"Erik you said it. We are the better men. It is time to prove it." Charles was trying desperately to stop him. "There are thousands of men on those ships. Good, innocent men. They're just following orders." 

"I have been at the mercy of men, just following orders. Never again." Erik sounded so bitter. The missiles shot back to the ships.

'Erik, release them!" He didn't. "No!" Charles tackled Erik but still some missiles would hit ships.

 I thought about all the wives, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, husbands and families that would have to go to a funeral. Would have to live without whoever dies on those ships and something inside me sparked. 

I felt power surging through me and I got up. The pain didn't bother me. I shot my hands out and thousands of volts of electricity leaped out my fingertips. The electricity looked like gold dragons flying through the sky and every gold dragon found their target. My eyes were burning and so was my body. I could see Erik and Charles wrestling.

"Help him." I shouted to the others. I kept my volts going as they blew up missiles in the sky. Most had fallen closer to the sea so it was harder to concentrate with each 'dragon' going in different directions. I had got at least a quarter. The rest were not close to the ships and would fall into the sea. Erik threw the others back and I looked over to see if they were okay. 

Erik got Charles under him and he picked up the missiles I hadn't destroyed. I shot out more 'dragons' and the missiles started falling again. I blew up the ones closest to the boats. Suddenly all of them went at full speed towards the ship. I am not sure if I can blow them all up. I didn't need to. Moira started to shoot at Erik and he dropped the missiles. Erik deflected the bullets and my heart stopped when I saw one hit Charles in his lower back. Erik ran over to him but I was frozen. 

"I am so sorry Charles." Erik apologized after he removed the bullet. Raven and the others tried to walk forward. "I said back up!" I slowly walked towards Erik, he didn't bother to shout at me. I knelt down next to Charles and put my hand over the wound to stop the blood pouring out.

"McKenzie. Where is your wound?" I looked down and saw there was blood all over my suit but no wound.

"Maybe I have a healing power." I smiled at him. I knew he was in pain. The kind of pain I was in not too long ago. 

"You. You did this." I looked up and Erik and saw he was sneering at Moira. He raised his hand and her dog-tags tightened around her neck. Erik was going to kill her. 

"Erik. Please." Charles was begging.

"Stop!" I shouted at him. He listened to neither of us. 

"She didn't do this Erik." Charles was looking up at him. "You did." I looked at Charles. Was tell Erik this was all his fault the best idea right now. Erik let Moira go and looked at Charles. 

"I didn't want to hurt you. It is what they want. I tried to warn you Charles. I want you by my side. We're brothers you and I." I swallowed. We needed to get Charles to a hospital. The beach sand was dyed with his blood. "All of us together. Protecting each other." Erik looked at me. "We want the same thing."

Charles chuckled. "No, my friend. Sorry. But we do not." They just stared at each other then Erik waved Moira over to take over holding his head up.

"I'm sorry, Charles. I am so sorry." Moira ran to him.

"It's alright." I looked at both of them.

"We need to get to a hospital." 

"If this society won't accept us." I looked at Erik. "We form our own. The humans have played their hand and now we get ready to play ours. Who is with me?" He stared at the others then looked at me. 

"No more hiding." He raised his hand up to Raven. She slowly started to walk in his direction but she came to us. 

"You should go with him." Charles held onto Raven's arm. "It is what you want." 

"You promised me you would never read my mind." I looked at Raven.

"I know. I promised a great deal. I'm sorry." He kissed her hand and she kissed his forehead. 

"Take care of him." Moira nodded in response. Raven looked at me. Moira realized what I wanted to do and replaced with hand with hers on Charles back. I pulled Raven into a big hug and squeezed.

"Be careful." I nodded.

"Same to you." I looked at Erik. "Look after her." Raven went over to Erik. All of Shaw's men joined him and Azazel transported them away. It was peaceful for a second until Charles said:

"I can't feel my legs."