Chapter 4:

"Ready?" Erik asked. I wore baggy grey sports pants that tightened around my ankle and a grey tank top that showed a slit of my stomach. Socks kept my toes toasty.

"As I'll ever be." We started combat. Punching, kicking. Erik wasn't going to take it easy on me but neither was Shaw. After 2 hours we took a break.

"Erik can I ask you a question?" He nodded, taking a sip of his water.

"Why when Sean said I wasn't going to go back to running from Shaw you looked, I don't know, like you know what it's like? "

"Shaw killed my mother to get my mutant powers to come through.  He fueled me with anger. May I ask what he did to you?" I nodded.

"Shot both my parents dead in front of me. Then asked me to join him like he didn't do anything. Like my parents weren't lying dead on the floor with bullet wounds in their forehead. Like my father's blood wasn't on my face. " Erik nodded.

"I know I can never replace them but if you ever need someone. I'm here for you." He put an arm around me and gave me a side ward hug.

"Thank you, Erik. It means a lot. "

"McKenzie, he shot you didn't he?" I nodded.

"Why is the bullet still in you?"

"I refused to let them take it out."

"Why?"

"It reminded me what he did and what he is capable of."

"If you ever need it to be taken out, I can help. I have a  knack for metal." He said it as if I didn't know.

"Really, I thought you controlled plastic. King of the Tupperwares." He laughed at me.

We spent another 2 hours then went for lunch. Alex didn't need combat training. So Charles would be taking Alex and I after lunch.

"Sparky." Alex had stared calling me that because of my code name.

"Yes, Shakira. " I called him that because of his powers. I always thought of Shakira when he created the energy for the rings.

"Get ready to be impressed."

"Cocky much?"

"You'll see." I laughed, we went to Charles.

"Okay first McKenzie I want you to hit the left statue with your electricity." I nodded and easily shot the electricity out my hand. Hitting it perfectly. I've gotten quite good with my powers in the last five years.
I hadn't seen Shaw in five years but I did encounter some of his...friends.

"McKenzie go stand in front of the right statue." What? I reluctantly stood in my place.

"Well done. Now Alex I want you to hit the middle statue and don't hit McKenzie. McKenzie no moving. " My eyes widened so did Alex.

"Better not kill me." I stood to the right.

"Alex you can do it."I smiled at him. I will haunt him if he kills me. Alex will know the pain of death. I will show him the pain by making him stand on lego pieces everyday.

I closed my eyes. Nothing. I opened my eyes.

"Still alive, suckers." Alex sighed.

"Damn, and I was so close." We laughed.

 After dinner Alex and I decided to check out the library. Sorry actually,  I checked the library he came along.

"Awesome, a book on the development of mutations." I took it. I opened it. Alex read a little over my shoulder.

I turned, excited not realising my nose was a hair from touching his.

"It's all about our DNA." I grinned.

"Fascinating." Sarcasm. I then realised the very little space between us. I blushed and moved, Alex smirked. I cleared my throat.

"I'm going to ask Charles if I can read this." I quickly went off. Alex was trouble.

"Hey Charles, could I read this? " He nodded.

"You know,  I actually have a piece of my work published in there."

"Really? " He nodded.

"That's amazing. "

"McKenzie, Erik told we what Shaw did. I hope you don't mind." I smiled at him.

"Not at all. I knew he would. I was actually hoping. I don't like telling the story."

"Like Erik, I'm always here for you." I smiled again at him.

"Thank you. Good night, Charles."

"When we open the school you'll have to call me Professor Xavier." I shook my head.

"Professor X. I like that." He nodded.

"Goodnight Volt."

"Goodnight Professor X."

I didn't sleep I read the book. It was quite fascinating. Charles's piece was a little confusing at first but became clearer as I read on. I finally fell asleep in the early hours of the morning.

"Alex, wake McKenzie up would you?" Charles said. She was going to be training with Charles and I today but she had missed breakfast. No one really thought it funny. Sometimes she just sat and chatted but didn't eat.

"Sure." I went upstairs, I still remember last night. First time I saw her blush, she looked cute. Stop it, Alex. She already thinks you're cocky.