Baby, It's Cold Outside, Chapter 5

Jenna let out a squeak and Grant laughed at the sound. Whatever scam she was trying to pull off, she was no hardened criminal. "Don't worry," he said. "I've got some candles somewhere." Of course he couldn't see anything except the part of the living room near where the fire burned. The candles were in the kitchen. He felt his way across the foyer, only hitting one shin on a chair. On his way back, with his hands full of the box of candles, he banged the same shin on something. Shit. That hurt.

"Are you all right?" Jenna called.

"I need you to kiss it and make it better."

She giggled. "Nurse Jenna."

He made his way over to the fireplace. "It's a damn good thing we've got this fire going. I really don't have any matches."

He poked the candles into the fire one at a time until he had half a dozen lit. After he'd placed them in the various holders some long-forgotten girlfriend had left behind, he sat down on the couch and swung his leg up to her lap. "Okay, Nurse. Time to do your best."

"Hmmm." She touched his leg right where he'd banged it and he jumped.

"You got the spot, anyway."

"Patience, my dear patient." She leaned over, her long hair screening her face, and gingerly pushed up the leg of his pants. "So where is your big bad booboo?"

He picked up her hand and guided it over to his leg. "Right here, Nurse."

To his surprise, she pressed her lips lightly to the spot. Then she licked him.

He stifled a groan. "Nurse, I have a painful situation further up my body if you want to do some more healing."

She giggled again, and he found himself charmed by her lightheartedness. He would have to tread carefully. As much as he wanted her, and as much as he didn't trust her, he didn't want to hurt her.

"All better," he said suddenly. He swung his leg off the couch. "Come up here." He pulled her into his arms, hungry for another kiss. The flickering candles shadowed her eyes and he wondered what thoughts she hid. Too bad they wouldn't have more time to get to know each other better.

He pulled up short on the thought, and forced his common sense into overdrive. He didn't do relationships, so there was no point in getting to know her. He'd let her stay the night, and hopefully enjoy more of her potent kisses, but he wasn't about to befriend her or, worse yet, talk about his family, despite her strange determination to do so.

Then he closed his mouth over hers and all rational thought fled. All he could think about was how he could make sure that she'd be sleeping in his bed tonight. He pressed into her mouth, leading with his tongue, searching out her secrets. She tasted of the brandy drink and of a wet warmth that forcibly reminded him of where he wanted to be.

But he'd have to entice her carefully.

He rubbed his hands over her back, massaging her, so that he could hold her steady while he gently pushed her down against the sofa. Unresisting, she reclined, until she was flat on her back and he was bent over her. He moved his mouth from her lips to her neck and she gasped.