Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Chapter 1

"What? Why are you looking at me like that? I know I said it was going to be my last one, but for your information, I skipped breakfast and it's almost eleven, ok?" I try to argue, but I'm smiling inwardly.

Knowing I won't be able to tell him no, I stare at my Labrador and sigh. "Fine, you can have the last cookie yourself." I pet the top of his head and finish my coffee.

I've had Bear since I was fifteen, and he is a cookie lover. He was a gift from my dad, who said I needed a warrior to fight all the boys who wanted to date me, and he's been my best friend and companion ever since.

 My father has never really been a strict father, but he has always enjoyed pretending he is. So, every time we look into Bear's soft eyes, we joke about how terrible Bear's plans to protect my honor have gone. 

Me and my dad have always had a playful relationship.

Well, I mean, that is until he got sick two years ago. We still like to annoy each other, but now more and more often all I hear is that I need to live my life, and not waste it here taking care of a sick man.

Sighing, I look at my dad sitting in his recliner on the balcony. That's been his routine for almost two years. Wake up. Have some tea. Look at the sea.

I know depression will get to you sometimes once you discover you have cancer, but damn it, if it doesn't make my heart hurt every time I look at him like that.

Shaking my head, I make my way to the balcony and hug him from behind. "Hey, would you like something to eat? You only had some tea when you woke up."

Giving me one of his so frequent sad smiles, he shakes his head.

"Please dad, you need to eat," I insist.

"I'll have something later," he says, turning his attention back to the sea. Today he seems more focused than sad and I wonder what else I can do to help him.

"I could make you a sandwich before I leave to work..." I try once more.

Looking at me in the eyes, he takes some time to answer, and I just know I won't like what he has to say.

"Baby girl-" he starts, and I immediately interrupt him.

"Please dad, don't!" I'm tired of having this conversation over and over again.

"Please, just listen to me." He raises two fingers as if to silence me. "You know you are the most precious thing I have in my life, and I couldn't be prouder of you, right?" he asks as tears start filling my eyes.

"You are the best daughter a father could have. You're so compassionate, so generous, and so selfless. You gave up your life, a great job opportunity... And for what? To be here waiting tables and taking care of your old man?"

I swallow at his harsh words, force a smile, and attempt to joke, "You are not that old."

He smiles one of his true smiles this time, and they've been so rare lately, my heart instantly warms. "You've always been so full of life, Livy. Even as a little baby."

He sighs and continues, "I thought I wouldn't be able to raise you by myself, you know? After your mother died, I was so sad. And then I would think: How the heck can I raise a baby girl by myself? But then you would smile at me. For no reason at all you... you would just look at me with a smile on your face, and I was a goner. I just knew that everything would be okay as long as I had your smiles." His eyes water, and my heart breaks.

I smile sadly at his words because talking about my mom always brings me this bittersweet feeling. My mom died from a car accident when I was eight months old and dad never remarried. Being an accountant, he used to work long hours and spend most of his free time with me.