Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 4

The day has passed uneventfully and it's already six pm, but I just can't seem to stop thinking about that man on the beach. Bear is asleep on my bed and my father has been resting in his room for quite a long time now, so I get up and go check on him to distract myself.

He is reading a book and smiles as soon as he sees me. "Hey, baby girl."

"Do you need anything?" I ask, and he rolls his eyes, going back to his book.

"Okay, grumpy. I'm going for a walk on the beach for a little bit. I have my phone with me, just call if you need anything. I'm not going too far."

He looks at me and gives me a small smile. "Ok, mom."

"I'm just a phone call away." I roll my eyes, closing the door.

I walk along the shore for a while and then decide to sit on the sand for a bit. I love the beach as the sun is setting and the strong sound of the waves is one of the most soothing sounds in the world to me. But as I watch the infinity perfection in front of me, I start reflecting on my life, and how drastically everything changed, how lost I am now.

Closing my eyes, I silently start repeating my mantra, slowly trying to focus on the present and the possibilities I have. I guess I'm lost in my thoughts because it takes me some time to realize there's someone sitting by my side.

"Jesus Christ! You scared me!" I shout when I feel someone moving by my side.

"Sorry. I was walking by and saw you sitting here by yourself," Mr. Handsome explains, and I have to admit I'm surprised to see him again.

Happily surprised if I'm being totally honest.

"So, you decided to scare the hell out of me?" I joke.

"It does sound creepy when you put it that way." He gives me a shy smile. "I just wanted to say hi, but you were so concentrated I didn't want to interrupt. I was just leaving when you realized I was sitting here by your side."

"Oh, okay..." I say and chastize myself for my lack of vocabulary around this man.

I mean, I do have an English Major, for God's sake.

"No dog this time?" he asks.

"Nah, we are past his bedtime."

"Of course." He chuckles, and I love the sound of it.

"So, you can smile, even laugh. I guess my first impression of you was wrong, then," I say and... Am I crazy to flirt with a complete stranger? There is definitely something wrong with me today.

"Yeah? And what impression was that?" he asks, clearly amused.

"Well, I thought you were a stressed businessman, with two kids and a frigid wife. You were so mad she was asking for money to put some Botox on her already plasticized face that you had to get out for a while. So, you see, in my mind, you are the portrait of an unhappy husband who can't get his wife off, so she has to find happiness in plastic surgeries. I kind of pity you. I mean, you can't leave her because you can't just abandon your kids, you know? Anyway, here you are, walking on the beach and trying to relax a little when my dog runs all over you. That explained the intense eyes today," I finish with a straight face.

His mouth opens and closes, and he stares at me for a second before bursting out laughing. I can't contain myself anymore, so I start laughing too.

He is so handsome, probably in his late twenties, but when he laughs, he seems younger, carefree, and strangely it makes me happy to be the one to put that look on his face.