~Crismes~

I arrived at Real Madrid a week ago and I already hate it. Almost everyone on the team taunts me when we're in the locker room or heading out to the pitch. When we're scrimmaging or just practicing, they're respectful and impressed with my playing, but everywhere else, it's always mockery.
Whether it's Sergio making fun of me for my stutter, or Pepe for my nationality.
Today is my first match with Real and I'm starting on the bench. I wasn't surprised since all the new members go through this. Think about it, at one point, Cristiano was started on the bench. Now, that was obviously a long time ago, but it still happened! I told myself this for reassurance of my confidence.
Everyone started on the bench at one point...
I repeated this in my head at least 50 times since I took my spot on the bench.
Our match was against Atletico Madrid, our rivals. Barcelona always joked about how we couldn't win against AM so obviously they can better represent Madrid. They also say that AM is the number one team in Madrid. I hate to say it, but I don't exactly disagree with them...
In the 75th minute, I was told to start warming up. I ran along the sideline doing every warmup that the trainer showed me. When the 80th minute rolled around, I was subbed in. Everyone clapped as we switched out and I made my way to my position at Center-Mid.
"Don't screw up Rodriguez." Cristiano called to me while chuckling.
I gulped slightly and nodded while wiping my hands on my pants to remove the sweat caused by my nerves. I jumped up and down twice and shook myself out as play started again.
The ball was passed to me moments later and I began to dribble towards the 18.
"Here, give me the ball." Benzema was being covered by two men while calling for the ball.
I decided to look for a different option; preferably someone who wasn't covered.
I dribbled to the edge of the 18 and crossed it to Cristiano and Gareth. Bale ended up hitting the ball with his outstretched leg and it just missed the goal. He looked to the ground for a moment to collect himself before giving me a thumbs up. I nodded and jogged back to my position.
"Should've passed me the ball you idiot!" Benzema yelled at me as I jogged past.
"B-but you w-were covered, so I thought-" I was cut off by him.
"Well you thought wrong Rodriguez!" He huffed and walked away from me.
I stared at him for a few moments before taking a deep breath and focusing back on the game.
I received the ball once more in the 92nd minute. I made the same run as earlier and sent another cross. This time Cristiano hit the ball and it found the back of the net. I jumped up and down, then ran to embrace Cristiano.
Just as I was about to reach the group, I was pushed away from them by Benzema.
"Don't even think about it Colombiano!" He glared at me before turning around and joining the hug.
"I-I... Ok..." I put my head down and walked away as the final whistle blew and the stadium erupted in cheers.
Though one cheer stood out to me. It quickly filled the whole stadium and it warmed my heart. Even though everyone just witnessed me being left out of a group celebration, they chose to cheer for me; the newest member of the Madrid Squad.
"James! James! James!" They repeated over and over again.
I took a look around and smiled the biggest smile I've had since I arrived at Real Madrid. I felt my eyes drop tears of joy, which I quickly wiped away; not wanting anyone to mistake it for sadness.
I wondered to myself, Is this what it feels like to be accepted? If so, I liked the feeling and I never wanted it to end.
That didn't happen though. The feeling came and went as if it was never even there. The cheers died as I went into the locker room. My smile turned to a frown when I was shoved against the wall by Karim.
"You think you're a smart guy don't you? You think that since you got onto the team, that automatically makes you number one? Well guess what, it doesn't! You're at the bottom of the scale, while I'm at the top, and that stunt you pulled today just sunk you even lower! Next time, instead of being a screw up, pass me the damn ball!" He then pulled me from the wall and slammed me against it.
I dropped to the floor instantly after he let me go. My head began to pound as he walked away. I sat up against the wall and rubbed the back of my head; hissing at the stinging sensation at the base of my scalp.
I retracted my hand from the back of my head to see it was stained red. I groaned in frustration as I got to my feet and walked over to the showers. I turned on the head and rinsed my hands before shutting it off. I quickly made my way to my locker to collect my belongings. I knew everyone else would be celebrating, but I didn't exactly feel welcomed.
I shut my locker just as a few other team members filed into the room. I didn't bother turning to look and see who entered, but I instantly knew when they spoke.
"Aye James! Great job today!" Marcelo.
"Yeah, thanks for the assist James! Hey, where are you going!? We have to celebrate!" I could hear them coming closer to the bench I was situated at.
"I can't s-stay, sorry." I picked up my bag and shut my locker.
"Why is your head bleeding? Did you fall or something?" Cristiano's curiosity became known as he questioned me.
I turned to him and looked over his shoulder to see Karim giving me a glare and shaking his head.
"Uh... yeah. C-clumsy me, always f-falling." I gave him my best smile and forced laugh.
"Well it looks pretty nasty James... You might wanna get it looked at." I shook my head no.
"No, I'll just p-put something over i-it for the night. Thanks though." I began to walk away when Cristiano caught my wrist in his hands.
"Thanks for today James. You played smart out there. Especially with your first few touches. Usually the new players want to get rid of the ball as soon as possible, but you saw that Karim was covered and kept going. I am proud of you James." I smiled, a real smile this time, and nodded.
"Goodnight Cristiano." I turned and walked away.
-----
I woke up around 8 in the morning and hopped out of bed. I quickly changed for recovery and left the house. I got into my black Audi R8 and drove off to the field.
As I drove, my head throbbed from the cut on the back. I groaned as a headache began to form right over the gash.
I pulled into the lot and parked quickly. The lot was dead for the most part. I grabbed my bag out of the back and walked to the entrance. I was about 30 minutes early so I was one of the only members there. After claiming one of the ice baths, I set my stuff next to it.
As soon as I got into the bath, I laid my head back and closed my eyes. My headache became so bad that I wasn't able to open them. I soon fell asleep in the ice bath.
----
"Do you think he's dead? I mean look at him; his lips are blue and he isn't waking up. We've been standing here for two minutes poking him." I recognized Marcelo's voice as I came to.
"I don't know Marcelo, but this is scaring me. Maybe we should get some help..." I groaned as I moved slightly.
I attempted to open my eyes while I sat up. When they opened, I looked around me to see Marcelo, Cristiano, Iker, and Gareth standing around me.
"Never mind, he's alive." I looked at Marcelo as he stood up from his crouching position.
"What t-time is it?" I yawned.
"It's almost 9:30." My eyes grew larger in size at this.
"What!? I've b-been in h-here for almost half an hour!" I tried to stand up, but I couldn't exactly feel my legs.
"Cristiano, c-can you h-help me please?" I pleaded him.
"Sure." He reached into the water and pulled me out bridal style.
He then carried me to one of the therapy beds and set me down. He walked away momentarily and came back with a towel and blanket as well as a change of shorts and underwear.
"Here James. Dry off and get changed. I'll be back after my session to check on you." I said a quiet 'Thank you' as Cristiano closed the curtain surrounding my bed.
I changed into the clothes Cristiano brought me and tossed my wet ones into a basket next to the bed. I then reclined onto the bed and covered up with the warmed blanket.
My headache had passed, but I was beyond exhausted from yesterday's game and waking up early. I closed my eyes and quickly drifted off to sleep.
When I woke up again, it was to Cristiano's sleeping face. My eyes went wide as I watched him for a few moments. I sat up and looked around at my surroundings. I was still in the bed Cristiano brought me to, except this time, Cristiano was lying next to me. Our legs were slightly tangled while his arms were tucked into his chest. I felt butterfly's in my stomach but quickly brushed them away as I looked around once more.
Everyone was gone and only one of the lights were on. I could hear the soft pitter-patter of the rain against the roof. I yawned as the rain soothed me and helped me relax. I wasn't tired anymore, but I wanted to relax in the peace and quiet. I had the peace and quiet at my house, but unlike at home, I had company. I was always so lonely and I found it nice to be in Cristiano's presence. I hated being alone... I have tried many times to date people, but every time they hear me talk, they run the other way. As if I wasn't embarrassed by my stutter enough, they make it seem as though I AM my stutter. They don't take the time to get to know me for who I am. So, I'm stuck being alone...
I was so deep in thought that I didn't realize Cristiano staring at me. His thumb rubbed gently under my eye and pulled me out of thought. It was only then that I noticed I had been crying.
"D-did I wake you with my c-crying!" I asked in concern and embarrassment.
"It's okay James. I didn't mean to fall asleep anyways; you just looked so peaceful, I couldn't stop watching you." I blushed slightly as I wiped my tears away.
"Why are you crying James?" He drew his eyebrows together in confusion.
"I-I was just d-deep in thought." I sniffled and looked down at my fingers.
"What were you thinking about?" Cristiano pressed.
"N-nothing that matters." I tried to give him the hint that I didn't want to talk about it.
"It was obviously something James. You can talk to me you know." He obviously didn't catch on...
"I-I... I'm so alone Cristiano! I h-have nobody! I've tried to date, but as soon as they h-hear m-my stupid s-s-stutter, they run the o-opposite direction! It's l-like th-they think that my stutter is w-who I am! I h-hate it! I've tried making friends here as w-well, but everyone seems to not like me, especially K-karim." I covered my face with my hands in anger and frustration.
The sound of the rain picked up even more as thunder shook the building. The weather matches my mood quite well but it also scared me. I was never a big fan of thunder storms.
Cristiano gripped my wrists and pulled my hands from my face. He stared into my eyes for a few moments before pulling me into his chest and snaking his arms around my waist. I inhaled deeply in the crook of his neck to gather his scent.
I relaxed into his arms as he drew circles on my back with his finger tips. I sighed and smiled as he hummed an unfamiliar tune in my ear.
"You know James, it may not seem like it, but I'm alone too. I mean, I have my son, but not a lot since he's off with his mother. My house is huge, but only one person lives in it. Maybe, you'd like to stay with me for a while? It'd be great for the both of us to have some company. I can have a room ready for you by tomorrow. What do you think?" I chuckled slightly before nodding.
"That s-sounds great Cristiano." He whispered an 'ok' and laid back onto the bed.
I settled in his arms as we laid chest to chest, staring into each others eyes. I rested my forehead against his and smiled slightly at him as he studied my eyes.
I shifted so my head was against his chest and I closed my eyes. I yawned quietly as the rain rang in my ears and lulled me closer to sleep. Cristiano massaged my head with one hand and had his arm wrapped around my waist.
"Goodnight James." I hummed and fell into a dreamless asleep.