~Chapter Six~

Winter and I were over by the scarves again. I couldn't figure out her fascination with those things. They didn't dance on command or fetch sticks that were thrown for them. They were just--scarves. Nothing special.

"Ox, what about--"

In the middle of my eye-roll, I caught sight of something that made me smile. Well, more like someone. Orion was a few tables down, up and hobbling around with his crutches. A large, wooden bow was slung across his back, along with a bundle of arrows.

Now, what is he doing?

He wasn't supposed to be out of the house without supervision, to make sure he didn't fall or injure himself further.

With about as much courtesy as the animal that Winter called me, I interrupted her. "I'm sure it looks fine, Winter. I'll be back soon."

I could nearly imagine the look of surprise on her face. It was almost worth walking back and staring at.

Almost.

***

The dead tree branches crunched faintly underneath my feet as I followed Orion into the woods.

A screamed curse made me grin. "Having fun?" I teased as I stepped out from behind the tree.

Orion turned and scowled at me, which only made me laugh.

He leaned against his crutch and sighed dejectedly. "Are you going to come over here, or just stand there and laugh?"

Slowly, I went over to Orion, making as much noise as I possibly could.

He threw his arms into the air. "All the animals within a fifty-mile radius thank you for alerting them to our presence."

"Your welcome, animals!" I called out, cupping a hand over my mouth for extra effect. Orion just rolled his eyes.

"So, what was the screaming about?" I asked, curious.

Orion just shrugged. "I missed a deer."

I playfully punched him in the arm. "I thought that you were the best hunter in the entire village."

He just shook his head. "With my bad balance and weeks without practice, I couldn't even hit a house."

"Want me to try?" The words exited my mouth before I could stop them.

Great, Equinox. Just great.

Orion looked surprised. "You can hunt?"

I bit my lip. "No. Give me the bow."

Reluctantly, Orion passed the bow over to me. "You know how to use this?"

"Nope."

That got a small smile out of Orion. "Hold the bow in your left hand near here." He moved my hand down a few inches. "The arrow hooks on the string. Pull the string back while holding onto the arrow, position it correctly, then breathe and let go."

I followed his directions and let go of the arrow and the string, resulting in a thwip sound and me missing my target by about ten feet. 

"Maybe you should do this," I said with a smile.

"Yeah, maybe I should, Equinox."

Then, very suddenly, he proclaimed, "Do you have a nickname? Equinox is such a mouthful to say every time I want to address you directly."

Well, yeah I have a nickname, but I'd rather you not call me that. It has something to do with an animal.

"I think I have the perfect name for you," Orion continued.

My eyes widened. Now I'd be called 'Ox' by everyone. 

"Like what?" I asked warily.

"How about I call you Quinn?"

I opened my mouth, ready to deny what I was sure I'd hear, but closed it rapidly. "Quinn?"

"Yep. Is that okay with you?" A maniacal grin swallowed his face.

It was all I could do to not tackle Orion with a hug. "That's perfect."

***

It was weirdly silent that evening at dinner. The only sound to be heard was the clinking of utensils against plates. I was worried. Silence normally meant something was wrong.

My father was the one to break the silence first. "Well, my daughters, as you know, your eighteenth birthday is in one week."

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, and I looked up from out food curiously.

What is he getting at?

Spring voiced my thoughts. "We know, Dad. What are you getting at?"

My mother sighed. "What you father is trying to tell you is that your eighteenth birthday is special."

My father nodded. "Yes. That is the day you choose what you will do."

I realized what they meant. With us being "non-human" we each had a set of powers given to us at birth. My sisters knew what their powers were, but I still had yet to find mine.

My father did a motion with his hands. "I give up. I can't explain this. We have to show you."

My parents stood and held out their hands. Spring, Summer, Winter, Autumn, and I grabbed clasped out hands around theirs.

A few seconds later, we weren't in our house.