ch8

They were arguing.

It had been six days since we were "blessed" with the gift of choosing what to be. My sisters had already chosen what they would do, each of them deciding to have a piece of the year dedicated to them and their talents. Now they couldn't agree on who got what part of the year and how long they got.

I walked down the stairs sullenly. While my sisters' jibes at each other echoed around the house and my parents were talking quietly to each other in the corner, I had made up my mind on what I had to do.

There was no way of getting out from needing to make a choice. I had to figure something out within the next few hours, but in the meantime, I had something that I needed to do.

Say goodbye.

Orion was the thing holding me back. Through the last few months, we had become very, very good friends.

Now, I have to let go.

It pained me to even think about that. All I could even hope for was that whatever I managed to choose would be something that would let me see him or talk to him in some way.

I guess, for the first time in my life, I was myself when I was with Orion. Not just Ox, the dumb sister; or Equinox, the daughter with no talent. To him, I was me.

I swung open the door to our house, no longer caring what my family might think. What does it matter if they see what I'm doing now? They can't change anything.

The walk to Orion's house was a long and painful one.

***

I stopped in front of his door, holding up my fist to knock. I can't do this.

I had made up my mind to just turn around and forget it when the door slowly creaked open. Orion's smirking face popped out and grinned at me.

"Hey! What are you doing here?" he asked.

The pain I was feeling must have shown on my face, because--without any question-- Orion shut the door to his house and limped outside to me.

"What's wrong, Quinn?" His voice so tender and caring I almost lost my nerve right then.

I was amazed I managed to even choke out my next words. "Can we walk?"

He nodded and started to go into the woods. I watched him move away, marveling over the fact that in such a short time, he had gotten the hang of the crutches he used.

"Quinn?"

Orion's voice was no more than a whisper. He was asking me if I was coming without words.

It was like a vine had rooted me in my place. I couldn't bring myself to move--to follow. A tear fell down my cheek.

Orion limped up to me and grabbed my hand. "Come on. I've got something I want to show you."

We went into the woods. I walked slowly, savoring every step I took; every branch that cracked under my feet, knowing that this would never happen again. The only time Orion stopped was to point me in a direction.

When it seemed that we had been walking forever, we came across a little clearing. It was a small, round area that was surrounded by trees. A moonlight shone on a patch of grass in the center.

"Come sit," Orion beckoned.

We both sat down in the center of the clearing, then laid down on our backs.
We were silent for the longest time. I was trying to figure out what to say but didn't want to shatter the silence.

"I used to come here to look at the stars," Orion mumbled.

I could feel his warm breath against my ear. I bit my lip, waiting for his to say more.

"I've always loved them. I like to watch the skies at night, looking for new constellations. Every few years," he pointed up to a line of stars, "a new one would form. The night after my grandfather died, a new one showed up. I used to believe that we would change into stars to be with our loved one after we died."

"I still wish that to be true."

I gasped, pain filling up my chest. "So, you like stars?"

What a stupid thing to say.

Orion laughed. The jolly sound rang out in the stillness of the woods. "Yes, in simple terms, I like stars." He looked at me curiously. "What do you like?"

Same thing I've been asking myself.

I had to think about my answer for a second. "Um, books. Reading. Long days and long nights. A small hiding place where no one can find you."

Orion smiled sadly. "You know, I never learned to read?"

I was shocked. "Really? You always seemed like you knew."

He nodded his head. "Yep. My family never had enough money for me to learn. I always wanted to know how. I've been told that reading can take you to completely different worlds."
He propped himself up on one elbow and looked into my eyes with intensity.

I squirmed under the penetrating glare from his hazel eyes.

"Could you teach me, Quinn?"

I looked away, the sadness that had momentarily vanished came running back at full-force. "I can't, Orion. That's what I wanted to tell you."

Tears started falling down my face. I swore that I wouldn't cry in front of anyone.

"My family, Orion, we're leaving. We have to go ou-out of town." I hiccuped like I do when I'm upset. "Forever," I added.

His face fell and paled. "Oh," he whispered.

That was all we said for a while.

"Can I convince you to stay? Not your family, just you?"

Oh. This hurts too much.

I shook my head. "I have to go with my family, Orion. I have to do something."

My swear not to cry had been utterly destroyed. I was bawling like a baby.

Orion sat up and crossed his arms over his chest. "Quinn, what's so important?"

Oh, just the fact that my parents are literally the sun and moon, my sisters and I weren't born like normal human beings, and the fact that tomorrow I'm going to have to choose what to do for the rest of my life--if you can even call it a life.

So, yeah. Nothing's important.

Instead of blurting out the first thing that came to my head, I just sat up and touched Orion's arm. "I can't tell you," I whispered.

The next thing that happened surprised me. I was expecting him to yell or scream. I was expecting him to shake his head in disgust and leave me in the middle of the woods.

He didn't.

He hugged me.

"Goodbye, Quinn."

I should have know that he wouldn't let it go.