Chapter 10

Noah's POV

"We have to do something! I'm not letting this go on. I won't let it happen," I demanded. We were sitting at a table at school. It was the day after the the whole basketball dudes plus parents fiasco. I looked over at Evelyn. She was sitting by a tree nibbling on some of the food we gave her yesterday.

"We should call the police," said Nellie nervously.

"Yeah, we should," I said.

"I agree," Emma said.

"Ok. Thats what we will do," Nellie said standing up.

I looked down at the table, wringing my hands together, guilt consuming me like it did so many years ago.

"You good?" Nellie turned to me, noticing my expression.

"I mean. Yeah. I guess. Just... why didn't we do that earlier?" I reply, looking up at Nellie on the last part.

Nellie and Emma are both quiet for a second.

"Because we were scared?" Emma squeaks out.

Yeah. I guess that was it. People are always scared. And that's why we become bystanders. Honestly, it's awful. Fear keeps us from doing so much.

I was scared that the police wouldn't believe us. I was scared that the police wouldn't see what was going on and would give up on the case.

I was focusing on the 'what ifs'. The 'what ifs' can hold you back. And that's what they did.

"When should we call 911?" I asked.

"We'll think about it. Guys, this is going to be dangerous. I want you guys to be aware of this. It's not an easy task. Her parents are... psycho," Emma said.

"We know," Nellie and I said.

"We have to do this. We can't just stand around and do nothing," I said.

Yeah. You're right," Nellie said as Emma nodded her head.

"What-" - she swallows nervously - "what if this doesn't work out?" Emma stutters, looking at her lap.

"Are you scared, Em?" Nellie asked, her eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"A little," Emma confessed. "Those parents...they're scary."

"You'll be ok," I said. "Don't worry. I won't let anything happen to you. And nor will the police."

The corners of Emma's mouth pulled up a little.

"When we call the police what do we say?" wondered Nellie.

"We should have them meet in front of school at the end of school and on their way here and not have the sirens on. Then we walk to Evelyn's house and peer from an open window just like we did that one day," I said.

"Great idea!" Nellie said.

"I like it!" said Emma.

We had it all planned except for when we would call.

"Exactly when are we putting the plan into action?" asked Nellie.

"Today. The sooner we can save Evelyn, the better," I stated.

Nellie and Emma nodded in approval, although I could tell they were nervous.

After school I called the police station while Emma and Nellie huddled around me.

"911, what's your emergency," came from the phone.

I gave the police information about what was going on and they said they'd be right there as well as a lot of other stuff about making sure we're safe too.

"Thank you," I said. I hung up and slipped my phone into my pocket.

A few minutes later 5 police cars pulled up in front of the school, which had pretty much cleared out by this time.

We all went to Evelyn's house. Luckily, there was a window open. We snuck over to the window and peered in. The policemen watched intently.

My breath stopped. I couldn't bare to see Evelyn get hurt and all I could hope for was that the police would barge in there as soon as anything happened.