6

John and George walked side by side, hugging their coats around themselves, their heads down against the wind and snow, which seemed be getting heavier with each step. George looked back over his shoulder. “Can’t even see where we’ve been now,” he said. John just nodded a reply. They had been walking for nearly twenty minutes and John had been regretting coming as soon as his anger with Paul had subsided, which felt a long time ago now.  

“Thank God,” George said and John looked up. A few yards in front of them stood the red phone box, lit by a solitary light bulb. The door banged in the wind and most of the glass panes were broken, but right at that moment, to John, it could have been Nirvana.  

They hurried up to it and both of them crammed inside, John holding the door closed against the elements as George lifted the receiver.  

“Yer got sixpence?” George asked, patting his pockets.  

John’s eyes widened. “No,” he replied, “You’re kiddin’, right?”  

George shook his head. “S’alright, I’ll reverse the charges,” he said, dialling the operator.  

George gave the operator the number and waited. “It’s ringing,” he told John.  

“Tell them to bring somat to eat with them, and a thermos or somat.”  

George nodded. The operator said something and George replied, “Can you try again please?” He looked at John. “There’s no answer,” he explained.  

John sighed and shuffled his feet.  

“Could you just let it ring a little long- oh,” George covered the mouthpiece. “They won’t be home. I forgot. They’ve gone to a Christmas party at a neighbour’s house.”  

“Well, call them.”  

“That’s alright, thanks,” George said back into the phone and hung up. “I don’t know the number,” he said.  

“Then ring someone else,” John said, getting annoyed again.  

“Who?”  

“Anyone.”  

George thought for a moment. He shook his head. “We’ll have to go back to the car and tell Paul to ring his dad.”  

“There must be someone!”  

George shook his head again.  

“It’s twenty minutes back to the car, then twenty minutes back here!” John checked his watch. It was nearly half past nine. “Its gonna be Christmas Day before we get to Liverpool.”  

“S’alright, we’ll get there in time for the Queen’s speech,” George said, trying to cheer John up a little. Unfortunately John was not in the mood for jokes.  

“This is fucking ridiculous.”  

“Well, what can we do?”  

“We could have left yesterday, we could have stayed in London, we could have not taken some shit bucket of a car.”  

George sighed, getting annoyed. “Come on,” he said, pushing John gently towards the outside.  

John shoved him back, “Call someone.”  

“Who? Your Aunt Mimi?”  

John looked at him, but for once he didn’t have an answer. He stepped out into the snow. “This is fuckin’ pointless!” he shouted into the darkness, “I wish I’d never fuckin’ come!”  

George pursed his lips and stepped out of the phone box behind him. “We’ll get Paul to ring his dad, he’ll come out and get us. We can even leave the car here overnight and get it after Christmas.”  

“And how long will that take? We’re gonna be sat out here freezing our fuckin’ bollocks off for at least another couple of hours!”  

“Yeah, well, I’ve had better nights too,” George said, beginning to lose his patience. He started off down the road back towards the car, stopping after a few paces when he realised John wasn’t following. “Well? Come on, you’re the one whining about standing around in the cold.”  

“I’m not waiting another two hours for Paul’s dad,” John said.  

“What else are you gonna do? You haven’t got much choice.”  

“Yeah, I have, I’m going.”  

“What? Going where?”  

“Anywhere that’s warmer than here. There’s got to be something around here.” With that John shoved his hands into his pocket and turned on his heel, walking away in the opposite direction of the car.  

“John!” George shouted, “John! Where are you going? At least wait for us and we’ll come with you!”  

John didn’t reply or so much as look back, walking briskly into the night. George watched him go, “John!” he tried again but John was too far down the road to hear him against the wind.  

George stood in the road for a moment indecisively, then swearing at John under his breath, turned and headed back towards the car and Paul and Ringo.