13

“Told you there was no one here,” George said grumpily, kicking the snow off his boots.  

“Where else could he have gone?” Ringo asked, mildly. “Perhaps he’s inside?”  

“Inside? How?” George looked up at the old building. “It’s all closed up, you couldn’t get in there.” He shoved his hands in his coat pockets and walked over to a near by bench, sitting down heavily on it.  

“You’ll get a wet arse,” Ringo said. George ignored him. Paul walked over and stood on the other end of the bench to see into the buildings window.  

“It looks like a pub,” Paul said. “An old country pub, but its all dusty and rundown.”  

“Is John in there?” Ringo asked.  

Paul shook his head, jumping down from the bench. “How far’s the phone box from here?”  

“Well, it’d be just down there, wouldn’t it?” Ringo said, scanning the landscape, “Back on the main road.”  

“Right, well, we should go and call me dad.”  

“What about John?” George said, from the bench.  

“What about him?” Paul replied. “Silly bugger wanders off, he can get himself home.”  

George sighed.  

“Look, it’s snowing again,” Ringo said, holding out his gloved palm to catch the drifting snowflakes.  

George shivered and moaned, “I’m gonna get consumption at this rate.”  

“Consumption?” Paul grinned. “Perhaps TB and small pox while yer at it, eh?”  

“I’ve been out in this for over an hour,” George replied. “I’m soaked through, I’m tired and I just want to go home.”  

“And we don’t?” Ringo asked.  

George looked up in the direction of the road. “It’s miles away,” he said, defeated.  

“Well, maybe we could wait and dry off a bit?” Paul said, kindly. “Or at least until the snow stops again.”  

“What, here?” Ringo said.  

“In there,” Paul pointed to the pub, “Maybe we’ll find some bourbon left behind.”  

“In there?” echoed Ringo. “And how do we get in there?”  

“The window. It's off its latch,” Paul said, looking up at the window he had just been peering through.  

“It's tiny,” George said, craning his neck back. “You’ll never fit.”  

“No, I won’t fit,” Paul agreed. Paul and George turned to look at Ringo.