chapter 3

Black Butterfly

TheRealGonZoldyck

Chapter 3

Notes:

because you guys are so awesome, here's anotha chapter :-)

Also, Kalluto is mentioned in this chap & I know many hc him as a girl, but with respect to canon I used he/him pronouns.

Chapter Text

It hadn't been fate or destiny or coincidence. It had been downright shit-ass luck; the kind of luck that puts the boy he hates most in the world in the locker room with two douchebags from the rival swim team.

It'd happened too fast, there hadn't been enough time to fix the situation; Gon was at least right about that much. One moment Killua was winning a fiercely contested swim meet, and the next he was being followed into the home team lockers by two of his opponents. Words were thrown around, then Killua got shoved around, and soon he felt the alarming rush of adrenaline that came from a person knowing they're going to have to defend themselves.

He was about to start throwing punches when he looked up to see Gon standing in the background, hair soaking wet like he'd just come out of the shower, in nothing but black briefs. Killua's heart lodged into his throat with humiliation.

Then, to make matters worse, the douchebags noticed Gon, too.

"Is there a problem here?" Gon had asked in a low, deceptively polite voice. He'd crossed his arms, shoulders squared, and Killua felt his cheeks grow warm.

"What, is your boyfriend coming to your rescue?" one of them sneered.

And Killua, thrown by Gon's presence and having no idea how to deal with it, shot back, "So what if he is? You're both gonna get your asses kicked with or without him!"

That, more or less, had sent things into a tail spin. Killua didn't get his ass kicked; the boys sort of smirked in amused confusion and left, leaving Killua alone and awkward with Gon still standing around with his hair dripping onto his shoulders.

"That wasn't-" Killua started to say just as Gon said, "Sorry, I didn't-"

Killua cleared his throat. "Whatever. It's none of your business." A drop of water slid down the ridges of Gon's chest, but Killua refused to watch its descent.

"Right. Just fulfilling my civic duty, 's all."

"I didn't need your help! I was fine."

Gon shrugged one shoulder, flicked wet hair off his forehead. "Alright." He gave Killua an unreadable look before turning away. Killua let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, hating the way his eyes tracked the lithe movements of muscle along Gon's back.

The next day in school, rumor had spread like wildfire that they were an item, and Killua began to wish he'd just gotten his ass kicked after all.

~

He doesn't tell a soul about their agreement, not even Palm, who would probably find out on her own, anyway. But she's hopelessly immersed in a crush on her debate partner, and Killua is relying on her obliviousness to save him the embarrassment of explaining a stupid plan that should never have been made in the first place.

That doesn't stop her from looking at him like he's completely lost his mind the instant Killua tells her at lunch, "Sorry, can't this afternoon, I'm helping Gon with his math homework."

Palm drops her fork. "Excuse me? You're what with who? Are you even speaking English?"

Killua focuses on his Sprite can. "Yeah? He needs the tutoring, or he's going to fail and get kicked off the football team, maybe not even graduate."