chapter 5

Black Butterfly

TheRealGonZoldyck

Chapter 5

Summary:

"Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble."
Macbeth, Act IV Scene I

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Killua Zoldyck's Seven Stages of Sleep (according to his body, anyway):

Stage 1: He takes the maximum dose of sleeping pills, but they don't work at all and he glares at their smug bottles at three a.m., whispering, "You lying bastards."

Stage 2: He falls asleep for eight minutes and has that dream where he's missed a semester of school and doesn't know where he's supposed to be and when he wakes up he realizes that even in sleep he's fucking his life up.

Stage 3: He closes his eyes for just a minute but never loses consciousness and then he opens his eyes and realizes it's been hours since he's closed them and he feels like he's lost time and was probably abducted by aliens.

Stage 4: This is the sleep that he misses because he's too busy looking up "Symptoms of Alien Abduction" on his phone.

Stage 5: This is the deep REM sleep that recharges him completely and doesn't actually exist but is made up by doctors just to taunt him.

Stage 6: He hovers in a state of half sleep when he's trying to stay under but someone is touching his nose and he thinks it's a dream but now someone is touching his mouth and he opens his eyes and his cat's face is an inch from his and she's all like, "BOOP. I got your nose."

Stage 7: He finally falls into the deep sleep he so desperately needs. Sadly, this sleep only comes after he's supposed to be awake, and he feels guilty about getting it because he should've been up hours ago but he's been awake all night and now his phone is going off and screaming out his ringtone like a banshee.

Naturally, it's Gon. They haven't spoken in two days--sinceThe Incident That Must Not Be Named--and Killua isn't sure what is so goddamn important that the idiot finds it necessary to bother him on a Sunday fucking morning.

A little more awake and a lot more irritated, Killua picks up the phone. "'llo?"

"Oh--hey, Killua." Gon at least has the decency to sound a little tentative through his greeting. "Sorry, were you sleeping?"

"No, I was being abducted by aliens."

He hears gum popping. "You're being abducted by aliens?"

"Well not now," he mutters, somewhat accusingly. "Anyway, what's up? Somethin' wrong?"

The silence on the other end of the line is telling. "No-no, nothing's wrong," Gon manages, chewing his gum with so much gusto Killua thinks his jaw is going to break in half. "I was just, ah--I was just thinking about the fact that when I see other people yawn, I yawn too because it's contagious, y'know? But when I see cats yawn it never makes me yawn."

Jesus Christ.

Killua pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs. "Gon, you know you don't actually have to tell me everything that pops into your head. I don't think that's how boyfriends-"

"So then-" smack, smack "-I went on the internet to find out why that is and apparently we yawn when other people yawn because we see them getting lots of delicious air and our brain is all, 'WOW, THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS! GRAB SOME QUICK BEFORE THAT BASTARD TAKES IT ALL!'"