Just Be You.

"You will make friends soon. Just be you!" My mom whispered sweetly in my ears. She was somewhat comforting and hugged me for a moment. Then a second later held me at arms length as if trying to remember every detail about me. A glimpse of remorse flashed her eyes and she sniffled.

"Mom...I'll be fine." I would be eventually ,but for now how was I supposed to deal with being shipped off to a Boarding School? I was the new girl at a new school in a new town. I was starting to dislike the word new.

"Really?"

"Really." I gave her a pseudo smile. It's not like if I told the truth she would grab my suitcases and take me home.

After another few minutes of our elongated goodbye, she finally paced down the hallway. I watched her until she came to a stairway. I spun around and faced the old oak door. Scratches were sprawled down the door from a key. I traced them down to the doorknob. There was a sock on the doorknob. Meaning either knock or keep walking.

I decided to knock ,because my roommate could be a slut or just a crazy person and it would be better to know sooner than later. Immediately the door swung upon it's hinges. It was opened so quickly that it couldn't be stopped and crashed into the wall.

"Why do you keep bothering me?" A feminine voice shouted from inside of the dorm room. I peeked my head inside to make sure everything was okay,

"Until you keep finishing my homework," The male figure yelled back, empathizing keep. He shuffled towards me and leaned on the doorframe. "Can you come back at a later time?"

I didn't even bother to look at his face. I brushed pass him and took my baggage inside. Clearly he was a bully. He was irritating me before I even learned his name and today I was in no mood to put on my façade. I did that enough with my mother. Afterwards I looked up at the girl who was then at her desk writing away. Her hair was dark and was braided into dark knots down her back.. Her face was heart shaped which made her look adorable.

"I'm Evangeline Dodder ,but call me Eve" I said when my staring got her attention. The short brunette stood slowly. Her stature seemed even shorter when she walked toward me making me feel like a giant.

"May Levine." May gave me a hesitant smile and pushed her hand towards me.

"Nice sock." I pointed to the door. Her shy smile turned into something more humorous as if she was remembering a very sweet secret or a very dirty joke.

After that May and I were considered distant friends which was more enjoyable than the other friends I gained. Later she told me how the guy was actually just actually tutoring her and he only hid it for his reputation as the bad boy. I know Cliché ,right?

Unfortunately I didn't have any classes with her, but I made more 'friends'. Every one of them less appealing to me and all of them more annoying. My fake smiles and laughter welcomes them even more. As much as it irritated me ,I can't stop. This is all I know and I'm doing this for my family. I couldn't turn my back on them this far in.

May's bully and I would occasionally exchange brief words when he was working her like she was a slave ,or when I threatened to tell his secret out of sheer boredom. Our arguments would always end in him saying "Shut it, Broken Barbie." I hated that nickname.

A month later I was completely aggravated because (as usual) those teen devils were at my heel and I couldn't get a hold of any cigarettes. When people asked about my grumpy attitude I just said it was that time of the month.

Smoking was a habit I came upon freshmen year when life got hard to handle. My family came upon hard times and debts seemed like they were tripling. Cigarettes helped me through long nights of working at McDonald's for extra income. Even now I craved a piece of tobacco heaven. Then the bully came down the hallway with a pack of cigarettes in hand.

He glanced over at me and gave me this devilish grin. Oh God , he is actually cute. Almost instantly his entire route changed and he marched in my direction. My pack of "friends" were clearly his fan girls because they squealed in delight.

"Come with me." He demanded silently . I didn't know what to do. It was either go with the handsome potential criminal and try and get some cigarettes from him or just be angry for the rest of the month. To me it seemed like a deeper question. Should I be myself or just placate this façade? After what seemed like hours, I finally responded.