Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Eerie Silence

"Sometimes you just need to runaway just to see who will come after you." -Unknown

-Third Person-

As Scarlet slowly walked on the gravel like road, she stayed quiet. Almost everything around her was silent except for a few small noises such as the chirps of crickets as they hid in the tall grass and the crunching beneath her shoes.

Tucking a stray hair behind her ear, she trudged on. Looking at her surroundings, her view was filled with nothing but tall grass and a few patches of wildflowers. About forty-five minutes into her walk she decided to take a break, as she sat on the itchy grass.

About twenty minutes later, she pulled herself up from her spot and continued to walk. Her ears were filled with an unsettling silence and her constant heavy breathing. Out of nowhere she broke into a full on sprint, in order to tire herself out-so that sleep may come without effort.

About a mile or so into her running she began to slow down until eventually she was at a walking pace again. Finding an area of slightly greener grass and purple wildflowers a few feet from the road, she began to make the spot as comfy as possible.

Laying herself down on the grass, she looked up into the night sky-gazing silently up at the stars. Not before long she began to drift into sleep as her eyelids began to slowly shut. The soft wind blowing against her skin.

Growling in anger, Ace began to throw things against the wall-boxes, wood, anything he could find laying across the floor. He began to think about how everyone he has ever trusted has always left him. Not many people have ever really been there for him in his life. Sure lots of people had been in his life but none that he really could count on when times got rough in his life.

Ace's fingers curled into themselves making a fist. Closing his eyes he began to try to calm himself by breathing. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. He continued this until he no longer wanted to punch the living daylights out of anything that got in his way.

Sitting on the floor, with his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands. After a while of sitting like this he remembered something. He had kicked a fragile little girl out on the street not that long ago. No matter what bad things that he had done in his life, his heart still aches thinking about what he done to the poor girl.

Ace had took her from her home, made her feel fear, yelled at her then sent her to take care of herself late at night in the open. Now that he thought about it, he realized that now after all he had done; it was his responsibility to take care of her now. Or at least till he gets her somewhere safe.

As Ace got to his feet, he began walking to the door of the warehouse taking a look outside. He scanned the area with his eyes wondering which way she went. His eyes landed on the gravel road. Since she was so young, he assumed that her first instinct would be to go back the way she came right?

Ace nodded to himself and began taking long strides down the road. Since Ace had been increasingly taller than Scarlet, it would as you expected- take him half the time it took her, to get how far she did. Halfway through his journey he saw some grass to the side of the road that looked slightly flattened by some kind of weight. Thinking it was were she must have taken a break, he knew he must be on the right track.

About after an hour or so of his walking he spotted a figure laying in a field of flowers. Quietly he made his way over to it. Noticing that it was the girl, he sat down a few feet away from her. Throughout the night he busied himself with his thoughts as he watched the sky turn from black to orange to blue.

Scarlet lay almost completely still throughout the night but as she awoke some time in the early morning; she felt a presence close to her. Sitting up from the ground she looked to the side to see Ace looking the opposite way at the trees that swayed in the wind.

Scarlet's eyes had widened a fragment by seeing him here. She began to wonder if she spent the whole night alone, or if he was there with her. Ace wrapped up in his own thoughts, didn't notice that she had been awake and was watching him.

After a while Ace decided to turn to look at Scarlet to see if she was still in a deep sleep like she was about an hour ago when he checked the last time. His face didn't hold any other emotion besides fatigue.

In a tired voice Ace said,"Good morning, did you sleep well?"

She nodded but replied,"But it doesn't look like you did."

Already bored of this pointless conversation he said,"Well that's because I didn't sleep. Now go walk over there and go to the bathroom before we start to walk again, I don't want to hear you complaining the whole time."

She hesitantly nodded before walking away from him and into a collection of trees. After Scarlet had finished, she began to walk back, but before she could a spider dropped down a few inches from her face; its web placed in a nearby tree.

Scarlet let out an earsplitting scream-batting at the air in front of her breathing heavily whilst covering her face.

Ace heard this and came running over to where he sent her and looked around frantically. When he finally saw her, he ran over to her. Gripping her shoulder with one hand and taking her hands away from her face with the other.

"Whats wrong Scarlet? What happened," he said softly to her, trying not to upset her any further. She was crying-her eyes were now red and puffy.

In between hiccups she said,"There. Was. A. Really. Big. Spider. And. It. Scared. Me. Real. Bad." Scarlet was crying softly now, hiccuping occasionally.

Ace rolled his eyes and said,"Its alright Scarlet, you'll be okay." She nodded and they began to walk back to the little flower field.

Once she stopped crying completely, Ace decided that they could start their walk to find a place where they could stay for a while- well at least until he could get the situation all worked out.

So as they walked, they were caught in an eerie silence-their minds filled with as many possible thoughts as you could think of.

~

Wow, its been quite a while since if updated but my friends and someone who has been commenting a lot lately got me thinking that maybe some people out there actually liked my book. Normally it takes me a long time to update 1. because I don't really have much motivation to and 2. because it actually takes me a couple of hours to get my ideas on a page, which is sometimes very time consuming. But if my writing actually meant something to some people, I would be fine taking those hours out of my day to do that.

Well anyways sorry for my rant, thank you for reading-please don't forget to vote.

If you could, please leave comments about my chapter; good or bad. Constructive criticism always helps(:

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Byee