Survival (Lake and "Love")

So, before you read this, just to let you know this is kinda like a dystopian society and it's my first time writing anything like that, so I apologize if it sucks.

And, I was inspired by a writing prompt that I had found on Pinterest and this song! The song is Satellites (Act III) By Crown The Empire. I really recommend listening to it as you read it, it just really sets the mood and brought in so many emotions for me.

  But if you do like it, please don't forget to comment and vote!

Sitting back on the couch, I watched as the movie continued to play on the TV, but I saw nothing. As the scene flashed like strobe lights, my mind replayed what happened only a couple hours ago.

The whoosh of my home going up in flames danced behind my eyes, Justin's maniacal laughter sending chills down my spine. Squeezing my eyes shut, I covered my mouth with my hand so Lake wouldn't hear the whimpers and criticize me.

He doesn't know, I sniffed, He doesn't know what it's like to care for someone, to love them with your entire being. He knew nothing.

Hearing the click of Lake's gun locking in place, I swallowed my tears. The cushion next to me sank as Lake set the gun on the cluttered coffee table in front of us. I refused to look at him, what he had me do was revolting. How could any normal person just walk away from that?

"Cat got your tongue, Love?"

I crossed my arms over my stomach, Justin's haunting laughter echoing in my ears.

"Oh, is someone unhappy right now?" He clucked his tongue taking the remote that sat on my thigh. He glanced up at my face, rolling his eyes as he leaned back in his seat and stretched his legs out before him.

How was he so calm?

"I told you already, it had to end or else he would have gotten you." Lake punched in some numbers in and the channel changed, settling on a game show. The game show was bright with laughter and color, a deep contrast to the grey walls and halfway to being broken couch I sat on. The air was tense, as we stood on different sides of what happened.

"He was sick," I choked out, still refusing to look at him. Instead I focused blue coffee mug that's rim was chipped. Lake had handed me that mug not long after we got back to his apartment, at first I had been surprised and accepted the coffee, but now I glared at it. He was just pretending to be nice, he wanted me to move on and forget what happened like he did. "He was sick, and you killed him."

"Oh, I see." Confused at the sudden change of tone, I looked at him. His brown hair seemed black in the dull lighting. He waved his pointer finger between us, his face curious. "Is this one of those times when you want me to lie to protect your delicate emotions?"

Glaring at him, I didn't regret what I said next, "You bastard."

"Name calling, how fearsome." His grey eyes glinted dangerously, a sign that I was pushing my luck with him.

"He didn't know what he was doing," I shouted, pushing myself off the couch so I towered over him for once.

"Yes he did!" Lake pushed himself off the couch, forcing me to look up at him. "Justin did exactly what he was supposed to, he knew what to say, what to do to get you to listen to him. And if it weren't for me, you would be a pile of fucking ash right now. So you're oh so fucking welcome!" His chest was heaving as he clenched his jaw. His eyes were ablaze as they stared down at me. "Don't you dare cry, not now. I told you in advance so this wouldn't happen."

I shook my head, looking at the door that was behind him. I could leave, walk out and never have to see Lake again. I could have a new life, start over where no one knew me. But each time I got close to leaving, something pulled me back. It was all Lake's fault. If he hadn't taken me from my home swearing that he was saving me and that the government wanted me dead, I wouldn't be feeling like this.