Chapter 1

Author's note! 

Woop, this is my first fic on Wattpad! Huzzah for noobs :) Some things... let's see. This fic will be based around breakdancing (duh) Sometimes the terms might confuse you... but it's not too important! They're just different moves usually :) I'll explain anything along the way. Hope you all enjoy! Like and comment, and I'll love you forever ♥ Share with others and I'll love you forever + a year. 

(Mila’s POV)

Please leave your message after the beep- *BEEP*.”

                “…Um, hey…mom. I just… just wanted to tell you happy birthday. I-I.. I really wish you the best. Say hi to dad for me too, will ya?... And, I… I love you, and I hope you know that.”  

                With a sigh, I brought down the phone from my ear and pressed the end call button. I could go run three miles, but that one call would’ve drained more energy out of me. It’d been almost 2 months already since I’d last seen my parents, but I couldn’t just let my mother’s birthday pass without any recognition. I had a feeling inside that she didn’t have her phone on her, but just ignored my call.

                Groaning, I put my head in my hands, threading my fingers through my hair. I never imagined I’d be so estranged from my family like this, but I knew that if I went back, I would just make the same choice. I loved my family, but I loved to dance too.

                I shook all these worrisome thoughts from my head before standing up. The clock read 11:47, meaning I had somewhere to be. The lunch rush was coming up, so I had to set up quickly for all the people that’ll be roaming the streets. Noon was when I came up with most of my day’s earnings, so even if it was just for an hour for the whole day, I had to get out there and dance my ass off.

                I pulled out my cardboard to claim the space that I took every day. It was a small area on the corner of two small boutiques in one of the busiest shopping centers of this part of town. Putting an empty can at the very front of the cardboard, I began to stretch, not wanting to pull anything for I knew I’d be dancing with barely any breaks for the next hour or so.

                I smiled at some of the employees of the shops near my spot; I’d gotten to know quite a few of them after coming here every day to perform. Some of them were the people that really gave me hope about the world, because even though they saw me dance every day, they still went out of their way to drop money into my can.

                Setting down the boom box after I finished stretching, I clicked play, letting the music just flow out into the bustling streets around me. The familiar beats made me feel at home in an instant, and suddenly the rest of the world didn’t exist in my eyes. 1, and 2, 3, and 4. I counted out in my head as I broke out my top rock.

                By the time I dropped down to the floor to show off my footwork, I could see the growing crowd around me. Knowing how to play the crowd, I rushed to the power moves. Any good street b-boy or b-girl knew that the flashiest moves were what got you the money. I went around with one windmill, gliding into a slow headspin before ending it out in a halo. I held the freeze for a few seconds before flipping back onto my feet, grinning at the applause that suddenly surrounded me.

                I took a swig of water before going right back in to break out another set, knowing I couldn’t stop for too long or else I’d come up short for the day. It wasn’t easy earning the money that I did, but I’d figured by now that I can’t have the best of everything.

                 By 1, the crowd was waning, people already going back to work. I was half glad that I could finally call it quits for now, my body gladly agreeing as I finally plopped down to take a well-deserved rest. Before I could take a look at my money can, I saw a pair of feet standing beside me, making me pause and look up.

                “Um, hello?” I said uneasily as I found myself looking at a guy who probably just a few years older than me. It was rare for anyone to actually approach me after a performance, and when they did, it was often times just some elderly person who had never seen breakdancing before.

                “Hey.” His voice had an interesting tinge to it.  I narrowed my eyes, still not quite sure why the guy stood before me.

                “Can I help you?” The stranger shrugged.

                “I saw you breakin’ just now.” He said, not sounding too impressed about the subject. I almost felt offended at how he said it, but I tried to ignore it.

                “Yeah?”

                “Yep, pretty good… “ I smiled. Maybe he hadn’t meant the lack of feeling to his voice. “…For a girl.” My smile disappeared as quickly as it had come.

                “What, you think b-girls can’t do shit?” I asked, starting to get defensive.

                “What if I do?” The guy answered nonchalantly. Narrowing my eyes, I quickly found myself harboring a whole lot of disapproval for someone I didn’t even know.

                “Well, whatever. You believe what you want. I know what I can do, and you’re not going to tell me otherwise.” I stood up, facing the other with a determined look. Of course this wasn’t the first time I’d gotten beef about being a b-girl, so I brought out my sassy side that was reserved for these situations. Though, I was never used to this happening when I was just street performing.

                “Yeah.” He snorted. “Sure. I’d bet that you’d never, in a million years, be able to win even one battle at the world b-boy championships.”

                “…Is that a challenge?” A spark of interest showed in my eyes. I could never say no to a challenge, and I never lost one either.

                “Yeah, sure. Though… challenge does imply that you have a chance of actually winning.” The guy snorted again.

                “You’re on.” I said after rolling my eyes. I nodded my head with an absolute sense. I knew in the back of my mind that this was more than just plain ambitious. It was bordering from straight up stupid to plainly impossible, but I just couldn’t shove my pride away to back down now. “What’s your name even?” I asked, curious. He obviously sounded like he knew his stuff, so he had to be a b-boy too.

                “Jaycen… B-Boy Still.” He answered simply.

                It took just a few moments before it really sunk in. The name… B-Boy Still. Once it hit me, my eyes blew up like balloons.

                “Y-you’re…” I slowly brought up a hand to point at the other. I could see a smug grin starting to emerge on his face, obviously knowing what realization had just hit me. I didn’t even have to finish my sentence before he cockily nodded his head, confirming my thoughts.

                I was standing before one of the most well known b-boys in the whole world.

                And I had just taken on an impossible challenge with him.

                Holy fuck.