Chapter 2

Merp, I hope this is going well... Please comment and like! If you promoted my story to others, that would be even more awesome :) 

(Mila's POV) 

                “…” My mouth was merely hanging ajar, no sounds coming out even as I tried to process something to say. What was someone even supposed to do in a situation like this?

                “Tryna catch some flies there?” Jaycen teased, making me blush in embarrassment. I suddenly wanted to take back every brave statement I had made up to this point. Ambitious was definitely an inevitable part of me, taking every challenge I could take, but I wasn’t so sure how that would apply when it was a challenge from such a legendary dancer!

                “No!” I interjected.  “I just wasn’t expecting you to be… you.” I answered dumbly. If I was trying to save my pride at this point, I was getting nowhere.

                “Uh-huh.”

                “But… you know, I’m never going to be able to even go to the Finals next year like this… I don’t have a crew to get invited with.” I said pointedly, eyes brightening up because I thought I’d found the perfect excuse to back out of this whole ordeal. It was flattering to meet such a great b-boy, but he was a much bigger jerk than I ever imagined him to be. If I lost this challenge to him, I had no idea how I’d ever live it down.

                “Hn.” He had a smirk across his lips that were making me feel anything but comfortable. “No problem. I can put you in under Gamblerz for the time being. You’re not getting out of this that easily.” Jaycen crossed his arms and tipped his head back.

                The idea of being part of Gamblerz, even if it was for such an artificial reason, boggled my mind. It took longer to process this one than the fact that I was standing in front of B-Boy Still, but eventually I came to terms with accepting it. I didn’t want to look like I was mentally retarded, always blanking out like that.

                “It’s not like you’re the leader, you sure you can just add me in like that?” I challenged him, feeling the slightest bit victorious when I saw him pause. He knew I was right there!

                “…Have time?” He suddenly asked, making me narrow my eyes in caution. “If I can’t bring you in, we’ll just have to go ask Wes.” I tried to mask the surprise at the mentioning of a b-boy even greater than Jaycen. He was popular enough that anyone could recognize even his real name rather than needing his b-boy name. It obviously didn’t work when I heard Jaycen snort and speak up again. “Fangirls…”

                I pushed my eyebrows together and pouted at him in disapproval. I was so not the typical fan girl, just a fan that happened to be of the female sex!

                “I just recognize him as one of the dopest b-boys of all time! Is that so wrong?” I shot him a scornful look.

                “Yeah yeah, so you got time or not? I gotta go meet up with the guys anyways.” He said, glancing at his watch and nodding when he saw the time. I did as he did, unlocking my phone to check up on the time, frowning when I saw that it was a little past 1:30 already. My shift at the restaurant started at 2, so I really couldn’t go anywhere now.

                “Nope… I got to work.” I said, frowning. As much as I wanted to avoid the challenge now, passing up a chance to see one of my biggest heroes of breakdancing was hard to excuse.

                “Hn.” Jaycen looked at me almost as if he didn’t buy my excuse. Though, if I were in his position I might not even have believed myself the first time around. “Give me your phone then.” He held out his hand, fingers gesturing to hand the device over. Uneasily, I slid it out to place it in Jaycen’s palm, figuring he was going to add his number in or something.

                “Here. I’ll call you again sometime. Don’t worry, we’ll get you to the finals so you can lose.” He smirked, giving back my phone, screen on the new number that was just added in under ‘Jaycen Paek.’ I swore, he was more stubborn than I was when it came to losing. I never knew that was even possible until now.

                “Fine.” I mumbled. It was useless trying to run away now really. “I gotta go… so, bye.” I bid him farewell with an awkward wave of the hand as he still stood in front of me. It took him a moment but eventually he walked away, the stupid smirk still on his face like he had no other facial expression.

                With a sigh, I started to fold up my cardboard, packing away the money that I had earned along with my boom box. Quickly, I shuffled away to go back to my apartment before changing into my uniform and heading over to the restaurant that was just a block away. The dancing took away a lot of my energy already, but I had to get over it, muster up some more energy, and work a 6 hour shift.

                The door jingled as I walked in, announcing my arrival, and so quickly, my best friend and fellow waitress, Jenny, greeted me.

                “Hey Mila!” She called out from behind the counter, grabbing a plate of food before delivering it to a table. “Thought you were gonn’ be late today.” She teased. It wasn’t without good reasoning though, since I had a rather bad habit of showing up five to ten minutes late to every shift.

                “Yeah yeah…” I childishly stuck my tongue out to her before slipping into the back to grab my apron and put away my bag. “I have something to tell you later!” I said to her in a hushed voice as I passed her to grab my serving plate.

                “Oooh, really now?” Jenny gave me a look of interest and curiosity but also suggestiveness.

                “Not that kind of thing.” I rolled my eyes. “I’ll tell you later, I promise.” I said, going off to wait my first table for the day.