EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT
❝The Odds Are Not In Your Favour❞

— • —

The following days were a bit better than the first. I excelled at the agility and knowledge tasks but when it came to weaponry, I was not as great. The careers seemed to pick this up and did not bother asking myself to join them for lunch. Eric though, he did get welcomed into the careers but he turned it down. Serves them right. Frankie was not going to get him as arm candy or as a pawn in their tactics. I spent the second day with the forest duo from Seven. Clover was so kind to me and she reminded me a lot of the twins back home. We spent a lot of time together in the climbing station. She was better at vertical climbing than she was at the monkey bar activity. Her brother Moss was not what I had thought he would be. He was not the dark and shady character that he came across as to others. He did keep his feeling wrapped up inside but on the third day I finally cracked his shell and got to know him.

Moss and Clover grew up in the depths of a pine forest. Their family lumbered the pine trees so they could be refined and made into many things. District Seven was so unlike Four. It was heavily wooded, smaller in population and the district centred itself around one big town. They had a lot of forest knowledge which I happily paid attention to. In exchange, I gave them them rope and basic skills knowledge.

Besides the two from Seven, I also talked to the tributes from Eight and Eleven. They were ok but I just did not like them that much. While I spent my days learning about skills with my newfound friend Clover and the occasional Moss, Eric on the other hand got to know each of the tributes. He worked out a list of people to steer clear of and others that may be of use. Eric wanted the boy from Nine on our side. I had spoken to the older boy once but I didn't feel safe around him. Though Eric thought otherwise so we put him on our 'maybe' list.

Even though I had spent ample time training I still felt as if I had no talent. The rope instructor, Marcus had told me to not go into the Gamemaker session and weave knots. It was an ample way to get a 5, a score that was of no use. My strengths were not worthy of anything more than a 6. I could recite all the edible plants, make a fancy noose, climb to the roof and throw a knife hard enough to wound someone, but not kill. I was a hopeless tribute, I blamed it on my will on not wanting to win.

Right now I was sitting on a bench with the other tributes, waiting patiently for our chance to impress the Gamemakers. One by one the Careers had gone into the Centre with cocky grins on their face. They were aiming for a 9 or 10, a score they would easily obtain. The girl and boy from Three went next, they looked worried about what they were going to face inside. The boy had just gone through the doors when I leant into Eric, my lips next to his ear and whispered.

"I have no idea what to do."

Eric turned to face me, his face so close to mine. His sky blue eyes showed amusement. "You always leave things to the last minute." He whispered back.

"I'll probably end up making a knot and laughing at myself." I smirked.

His face lit up with an idea and he leant closer, whispering into my ear, "Do something different, make a joke out of it. So maybe that way you can get the first ever 0 join the history books." Eric chuckled and I just stared at him blankly. A 0 would be a massive joke. It was easier to get a 12 than a 0.

"Alice Stone." A mechanical voice echoed from the intercom. It was my turn to go face uncertainty.

"Remember what I said." Eric winked when I stood up. His idea was interesting, it made me think.

I walked through the metal doors and entered the empty Training Centre. Up in the wall the Gamemakers sat. They were watching my every move. Well most of them were. Two plump grey haired males were laughing with each other over a platter of roast turkey. I walked up to where a line was as stood, looking up at the Gamemakers. "Alice Stone." I stated my name just like Millie taught me. A few looked down at me with interest, some held a pen and paper. My thoughts went blank, I had nothing impressive to show them. I was a girl of words not a warrior.