THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
❝I See Fire❞

— • —

"We need to leave." Eric's hushed voice startled me. I was weaving a flower wreath at the edge of our little camp in silence when he joined my side.

Looking up at him, I frowned. This day was bound to come but I did not want it to be now. Can't breaking an allegiance wait another day or so? "Why now Eric?"

"Because, the games are almost at an end and you'll be sorry if we stayed."

Contemplating his words for several long moments, I finally caved in to his ideas. Eric was correct, if we did not move soon the worst would surely fall upon us. "How are we going to leave?" I shot a glance over to Clover. She had found a rabbit and after a heated argument, she stopped Moss from killing it. The right now the rabbit was perched in Clover's lap, receiving generous amounts of pets and hugs from the delighted Clover.

"I know you don't want to leave Clover," Eric sighed, sitting down next to me. "And for some reason I doubt you don't want to leave Moss."

I sent Eric a wry glance as he continued.

"But pushing that aside, we could just say we want to go out hunting and never return."

"Simple but effective." I mused. "Do you think they will buy it?"

"They don't have a choice." Eric shrugged and picked up one of the flowers that I was about to add to my wreath.

"You're right." I leant over to give Eric a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'll go get our stuff and say goodbye."

"Don't make it obvious, Alice." Eric reminded. I nodded and approached the two from Seven. My smile was as bright and wide as usual. I did not want to give anything away.

"Eric and I are going hunting." Short and simple, no need to elaborate in something that we have done before.

"Hunting." Clover giggled. "Right."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows together as I picked up the weapons Eric and I first found.

"Well," Clover melodramatically sighed. "I saw you two last night, returning from your walk." She giggled some more. "You came back and snuggled up in each other's arms like two peas in a pod. You and Eric are cutie pies." Clover's giggling increased. She had to burrow her face in her rabbit's pelt to stop herself from laughing herself to death.

I just rolled my eyes, ignoring Clover's comment. "You just look after yourself, right?"

"Of course." Clover's giggling subsided and it was replaced with slight confusion.

I had to bite my lips to stop the tears threatening to well up in my eyes.

"Can I have a hug Alice?" Clover asked so sweetly. Of course I accepted, crumpling into her tiny arm's, the rabbit included. "You're leaving aren't you?" Clover whispered in my ear as I hugged her tight. I did not reply, instead I nodded. It was all either of us needed to know.

Letting me go, Clover looked into my eyes, her deep green eyes were glossy from a few tears that were forming. "Good luck Clover." I smiled, smoothing her blonde hair a few times before walking away from her for a final time. I would have sent my best wishes to Moss but he was at the river collecting water. In a way I was glad that I did not have to face Moss. At least I knew I would not have his knife in my chest when he found out that we were no long alliances. By the time he found out, I was planning to be a safe distance away from him.

When I reached Eric, his hand found mine automatically. "Come on." He squeezed my hand, reassuring me. Nodding at him we walked out of the clearing and into the murky darkness that was the forest.