Don't Cry ⊙﹏⊙

“I’m really sorry, Maddie. I can’t hang out with you today. I have other plans.” Dan said over the phone but I didn’t feel like he meant the apology. He hung up the phone and I felt like my heart was breaking. That was the nth time that he did a rain check. Didn’t I at least deserve to know why he seemed to always be busy? The Dan I knew would usually be in front of his laptop and I had to convince him to go outside. But now, there seemed to be no room for arguments.

I got my guitar and left my dorm room. I got to the café where I work as the entertainment on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The place was almost packed. People enjoyed watching the performers. I got set up and I was up next. I strummed my guitar and started to sing my first song for the night. In the middle of it, however, everything stopped when I looked straight at the entrance to see Dan holding hands with a girl who seemed familiar. They looked like one of those metrosexual and fashionable couples. Did I just think of couples? Is she Dan’s girlfriend? I must have looked odd singing as I stare into space when one second I was sure I was looking at the audience.

I watched them take a seat in the middle of the premises. I still had to sing at least three more songs before I could take a break. But throughout all of those three songs, I felt like I was out of focus. I was so curious about Dan and the girl. I don’t even think that Dan notices that his friend was right on stage. He should have known, he knew I worked here. Hell, he even convinced me to apply for this job. I always ended up letting my gaze land on the two of them who were so involved in their conversation. I suddenly felt a little hurt, but I wasn’t exactly sure why. For all I knew, Dan was talking to a fashion guru who seemed to be doing a great job as I’ve never seen Dan in those types of clothes before.

When I finally finished the fourth song, “I hope all of you have enjoyed the first set, stay tuned for the second and I am open to requests.” I say over the microphone before hurrying up to leave the small stage. I immediately ran to the bathroom and was surprised how pale I looked. I splashed some water and took a deep breath. But still, the shock that Dan was here made me uncomfortable.

I emerged from the bathroom to be greeted by the girl who I saw with Dan, “You sing great, although I’m sure you’ve been hearing that plenty of times.” How would you know, you didn’t seem to be listening. But I kept that remark to myself. “I don’t get that a lot, no. Thank you. Do you have any song requests?” I blurted before I could stop myself. But she did have a song in mind. “It’s for my boyfriend, Dan.” And with that, I felt like my breaking heart finally gave in. “Oh, yeah. Of course.”

I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. “I don’t think I want to be back up there.” I murmured to myself, “Don’t be ridiculous.” The barista, Mason, told me but he was smiling which immediately turned serious. “I saw Dan enter, you seemed to be out of focus.” I nodded, “Apparently, Dan is too busy with his girlfriend to hang out with me. He could have told me that.” I said as I set down the glass of water “I just wished he’d tell me.” Before I could let him say anything else, “Yes, I know you told me that I should have told him about how I feel but it’s not that easy now is it. Now I’m too late.” I let out a deep sigh. “Ms. Girlfriend even asked me to sing a song.”

I’ve finished all the songs that I planned to sing, including the request of Dan’s girlfriend. “For the last song for the night, I want to sing to you an original song that I only came up with recently.” By recently, I meant a few minutes ago. I don’t even know why I decided to sing it now. It might end badly since I looked and actually was a little unprepared, but I did it anyway. Because while singing the second set, I figured out on my own that Dan’s girlfriend is in fact one of the models I see in a fashion magazine, Jade Collins, that and the fact that Mason told me that as well. I looked at him incredulously but he simply shrugged and said she’s just really famous.

I began to sing the words that have been in my mind,

She’s got wild colors in her hair

She’s living the life without a care

I tried my best to avoid the center table.

She’s flaunting the latest trends

She’s got a name for herself

I started to play the guitar louder and faster

She’s got the hand that fits perfectly into yours

But more importantly, she’s got your heart

I wish you the best

If only you’d tell

Because this pain in my chest

Feels like I fell

Everyone clapped their hands as I immediately ran out of the stage and went behind the counter where Mason was. I was already crying, and the applauding stopped. Talk about awkward. Mason kneeled down infront of me, he enveloped me in a hug and I started to calm down. Mason didn’t need to hear what I had to say. He knew I was hurt. Practically everyone in the café knew what I was feeling. Mason wiped the tears away, “Hey, look at me.” I reluctantly obeyed, “Don’t cry for someone who wouldn’t cry for you.” He said

I’ve finally calmed down but my eyes gave it away, I felt like there was still salt in my eyes.

When I stood up, I immediately saw Dan and Jade on the table top.

“Hey there, Maddie.”

I composed myself, “Hey Dan!”

“I’d like you to meet, Jade, We’ve been dating for two months now.”

I forced a smile. How ignorant can those two get?

“That was some passionate song, Maddie.” Jade said, although I couldn’t tell if she knew something was up

“Yeah well, it’s an original song.” I didn’t exactly know what to say. I just wanted to sink, or just stay behind the counter until Mason forces me to leave.

“Well, we gotta get going. I’ll see you later, Maddie.” Dan said

I tried to stop the urge to roll my eyes. See me later? When would that be?

I watched the two of them leave the café. And I immediately let myself fall again, crawled into a ball just next to Mason. But my pity party didn’t last long when Mason called it a day and went off with his girlfriend.

I mindlessly walked back to my dorm, ignoring the rest of the world. I bumped into a few people but I didn’t have it in me to say anything.

As I plopped to my bed, I started to think of the words Mason had left me, which I basically hear in a lot of TV dramas I’ve seen, don’t cry for someone who wouldn’t cry for you. Sure Dan and I are friends but not to that point where he’d cry for me.

 ---

So I removed the last one because it sucked. So here's another one. Not a happy ending, but you guys knew that. I have 2-3 more before I end this book. I really didn't want to post the ones I have before because it's downright terrible. I had just written this a few days ago and I liked it. So here it is.

-C