C H A P T E R s e v e n

. . .

     Their car approached a large, black gate. Swirls and roses were carved into the metal. The gate spread out to be no more than ten feet wide.

Old, glamorous lamps were on the walls, lighting the yard in the darkness as the fire within them twirled around, as if dancing.

Jane pulled the car up to a round-about, behind a few other cars.

As Iris stared out of the car window, she saw how glorious the property was, like a mansion. So beautiful, with an historical yet modern feel to it, and full of life. Iris grew speechless how stunning the details of Dante's house was.

This was where he really lived?

The yard in front of the house was full of grass and flowers; going on for a few hundred feet, toward the brick walls of the mansion. A beautiful fountain stood, near the edge of the round-about, where it curved to go back to the gate. Unlike most fountains Iris saw in the city, this one didn't have a statue on it. Only four bowls set into tiers, allowing water to fill up and spill over the edges like a waterfall.

Due to it being night, Iris could see that there were lights surrounding the large fountain and she saw flower petals floating on the surface of the water at the base.

A smile curled itself onto her face.

As the girls got out, they made their way to the front of the house where a butler stood outside to greet them. He smiled and escorted them to the room where the so-called party took place.

The mansion was perfect for a fairytale story; a palace, fit for a princess.

A large hallway with various doors to rooms, and other hallways were present once they walked in. In the back, a grand staircase stood, spiraling up to the second floor; its railing twisting itself like licorice candy.

The walls were littered with paintings, some of which Iris knew. There were odd decorations on the walls and she thought they were in a perfect place.

As they went to the back of the hallway, they made a left and came to a large, opened room. It had columns supporting the roof. Paintings, along with decorations, went across the walls like everywhere else inside his home. There was a few round tables and chairs, with a white cloth across it, and couches with glass and wooden coffee tables placed in front.

Near the entrance, there was a long table with a white cloth, and some snacks where guests could help themselves to. The snacks were small; there weren't many, but were placed on fancy, silver trays.

Iris noticed that it felt like a tiny get-together, instead of a party kind of thing. There seemed to be at least fifteen people—not including Iris and her sisters. The women were dressed in long and mid-length fancy dresses; the men dressed in suits and tuxes.

Soft piano music came through speakers that were off to the corner. Iris lost herself in the sound, fantasizing to the point where she was the one playing the piano. So gracefully.

Dante came through the opening that everyone else went through, smiling. "Glad that you could come," he said to Iris in a low voice that sent shivers down her spine. The awkward girl in front of him felt like he did that only to not disturb everyone else in the room. But the way he said it made Iris's knees weak. His gaze then went to her sisters. "Thank you for joining us."

"No, thank you for inviting us." Kelly smiled.

He nodded his head once and left to greet his other guests.