C H A P T E R s i x t e e n

. . .

   "So, you okay with it?" Jane said, looking at Iris as if she thought she wasn't listening.

Iris looked up from her computer, obviously not listening to a word her sister said. "Huh? What?"

Jane rolled her eyes, but Kelly stepped in to rephrase what was previously said. "Jane and I were going to head over to the Trevi Fountain. We all agreed to not do anything without consulting one another. Knowing that you have already gone, we thought we would go this time and you just stay home. Maybe write? Is that okay with you?"

Iris thought for a moment, thinking that she did want to explore the fountain again with her sisters, but Kelly had a point. She had already gone before, without them, so maybe it was time to let them go? She could get some writing done . . . Or . . . Or I could call Dante? With a smile, she said, "Sure. I'm cool with it."

"You sure? Not gonna freak out and be like, 'We came here to explore together,' yeah?" said Jane, shaking her head in disbelief.

"I won't," said Iris, rolling her eyes. "I promise."

                                                                                                  . . . . .

Ten pages in and a knock was at the door. Iris was comfortable, with a glass of wine off to the side of her computer; being ready to take anything down in her book. But of course, she knew it would end as she texted Dante to come over.

After she closed her laptop, she stood and walked over to the door, opening it. There, Dante leaned against the wall with a smile on his face. "Ciao," he said. "May I come in?"

Iris grinned, nodding. "Of course," she said in a flirtatious voice. She widened the door and let him through.

Once he walked in, with the door fully closed, they went into the living room and sat on the sofas. "You called me?"

"I did." Iris smiled. She took a deep breath, not exactly knowing what else to do to from there. Maybe I should've thought through this? "Did I interrupt anything important?"

"No, of course not." He gave a small smile, then itched the side of his face. "I'm still sorry for what happened the other day."

"Stop," she said instantly, holding her hand up. "There isn't a need to explain. I understand. But . . ." The thought of what happened made her wonder. Did the woman have some sort of connection with Dante? Had they known each other for a long time? Did they have some sort of "thing" going on in the past? Instead of asking questions, she shook her head, forgetting the mysterious thoughts, and said, "Never mind."

"Okay," he said under his breath. Though it was like he didn't want her to hear, but she did. "Anyway, why'd you ask me to bring swimming shorts?"

"I have a hot tub, 'member?" Iris looked, and pointed, toward the glass doors that lead to the balcony.

"Oh yeah." He chuckled as if he didn't remember. "So . . . are we gonna get in?"

"Yeah." Iris nodded, leaving to get her bathing suit on. "I'll meet you in there." She didn't hear him say anything, but she shrugged it off. She walked into her room, took her clothes off and put her bikini on. As she continued to get everything together, she paused. What was going on before made her uneasy. Like why did he act so odd? Why had the situation felt awkward? Did she make it awkward?