Over the wall ~3~

I'm falling. The wind whips at my hair, at my clothes, ripping. Like paper. I look up and see the face of the King, getting smaller as I fall. Bigoted jerk. I turn over, spreading my arms, letting my hair and dress whip out behind me. I like this feeling, a lightness in my stomach but more importantly, in my heart. I might be dead soon, but for these few seconds, I'm free. Like a bird. Soaring.

The mist surrounds me. It curls into my toes and around each tendril of hair. Moisture settles onto my skin....rain? How deliriously confusing? As I fall my decent slows. I see the canopies for trees being water by rain....hopefully not by Caierah rain. There is such rich green here. Many different shades, more than you'd see in the trees around the manor. But then again, I'm dreaming.

I slow even more as I fall, I see plush grass, thick and framed by flowers. What is this brightness of them. They aren't roses either. They seem to be flowers from the botany book in my room. Daisys and carnations and sunflowers and tulips. The look of them is indescribable. A strange feeling of...belonging sets into my stomach now, like this was the place I was meant to be. Home.

My body angles vertically as I fall, my feet facing the lush grass. As I lower I feel the tips of the grass brush my bare feet, before my whole weight settles onto the ground. I fall to my knees, my legs not ready for my weight yet. I lean forward and smell the dewy, wet grass. Rain crashes around me, sliding down tree trunks, tapping over leaves, drenching me. I lie on my back on the ground, eyes closed but faced towards the sky. I suddenly feel the rain stop, not opening my eyes but basking in the new sunlight, my face warms as does my heart.

I suddenly hear chatter. The sound of people coming towards me, there is life down here? People survived the jump? But most importantly, are they impoverished or have they flourished? I open my eyes to find out. A woman strides ahead for the crowd, her dress made of rippling feathers, again, of a hue I cannot describe. There is no shade here, but light. The woman's skin is black like ebony, her hair sits in curls tighter than mine in a sort of bubble around her magnificent face. I cannot begin to describe her eyes, though they haunt me with familiarity. Suddenly, my vision goes black and it feels although someone has driven a white hot spike through the base of my head. As quickly as it came, the pain passes and I open my eyes again. The woman is kneeling before me, her aura shows one of power and strength. Possibly these peoples leader.

"Hello, child," She breathes. Her voice sweet and melodic, it reminds me of Lianas, my dead sister. "Welcome to Salem."

Salem? Is that was this world is called, this valley, this clearing. She offers me her hand, I take it, feeling rough calluses over her palm, ones never found on a woman's hands in Vlencia. She must be doing mans labour, how is this place run if a woman must do a mans job?

"You have joined the ranks of the Fallen. The people to come over the wall. I am Shona, and these...are my people." She says, my hand still in hers. A young boy steps forward, his hair matches that of the nearest daisy, a bright summery shade.

"My Queen. I know this girl. She was a friend from over the wall. The daughter of the most inhuman man, apart from the King, to set foot upon sacred land. Allowed his daughters to be beaten by their mother, though I do believe her sister may be in the crowd." The boy says. His voice strong and unwavering. Familiar.

"Ok, Reggie. Please, if she has family here, bring them forward....your name, Fallen?" The queen asks.

"Caierah Anderson. Daughter of Alfred and Nicole, youngest sister of Liana and Noah." I project. Wracking my mind for a feeling for what the outcome of my statement was. Also for who this boy, 'Reggie' is and how I know him. Or how he knows me. I hear murmur in the crowd, a woman pushing through, hair almost as red as the apple displayed on the end tables at the manor. I cannot see her face, but a fringe, like mine, sweeps over her forehead.

She comes forward and stands before the queen. Her heart shaped face is heartbreaking. Her eyes are different, but her cheek bones and lips match those of my late sister. I want to cry and scream...Imposter!

"Liana Anderson. Daughter of Alfred and Nicole. Oldest sister of Noah and Caierah. Wife of Nathan. Mother of Caierah and Samirah." She says. Her voice matches the pitch, I never forgot...Liana died 3 years ago. My heart missed her everyday and my mind made mirages of her presence. But, apparently, here she stands before me.

I look at her, my eyes scrutinising. So alien but so normal. I begin to see her, my sister, as this woman. She steps towards me, arms open...I run into them, security. Safety. Home.