Facing Fears (Part 16)

Maine remembered, "Sa secret passage!" The group run towards the secret passage and entered. They run swiftly without looking back. They didn't realize that they left the door of the secret passage slightly opened. Sam noticed the door few minutes after he and his men have searched the area. They entered the passage to chase the group.

Alden and his companions came out in the church's kitchen from the secret passage. The 3 men sat on the chairs to catch their breath. Maine looked for something to block the passage since she heard the footsteps following them inside the passage. She saw the freezer and started pushing it towards to block the door of the passage.

"Ano ginagawa mo?" Alden curiously asked.

"Magpahinga ka muna Maine!" Jose added.

"May mga sumusunod sa atin kaya kailangan natin harangan ang exit door ng passage!"

The 3 men quickly helped when they heard there are still people chasing them. They immediately went out using the back door of the kitchen straight to the forest. They ran as fast as they can because they know it's just a matter of time before those men will find a way to open the door and chase them again.

Maine saw a river and told them to walk there so they won't leave any footsteps. They've been running for about an hour when they started to slow down. They are already tired, weak, and hungry. Maine encouraged them to keep going til they find a highway to ride a vehicle going to Angono.

Jose, the one on the lead, stopped. Wally who was asking Maine something didn't see that Jose stopped and almost pushed Jose to the cliff. "Ahhh! Ano ba Wally!"

"Sorry! Naku! Dead end na pala ito. Antaas ng waterfalls. Kailangan natin maghanap ng ibang daan." Wally suggested.

Alden approached them and checked the waterfalls also. He back out swiftly because he is afraid of heights. He agreed to reroute.

Maine checked out the height and color of the catch basin of the waterfalls and said,

"Kung maghahanap pa tayo ng ibang ruta, magsasayang tayo ng oras at lakas."

"Eh, magsasayang naman tayo ng buhay kung tatalunin natin yan!" Jose exclaimed.

"Oo nga Maine. Mukhang wala naman nang humahabol sa atin." Alden added nervously.

"Maine, alam ko nangako akong sasamahan kita hanggang mahanap mo ang kayamanan pero di naman ako nangako na sasamahan kita hanggang kamatayan." Wally uttered.

"Chineck ko ang kulay ng tubig sa catch basin ng waterfalls, it was dark. Dark means malalim ito which is safe for jumping. Kung gusto ninyong magreroute fine with me but I'll choose the more convenient one which is jumping off this falls." Maine explained.

Jose cried, "Convenient ba iyong tatalon ka sa napakataas na waterfalls na ito!"

"Time is of the essence dahil di natin alam kung kelan may hahabol sa atin. Ni hindi ko nga maisip bakit tayo nasusundan ng mga taong iyon. I don't want to waste my energy looking for another route. I want to save my energy and rest." Maine defended her stand.

"Magkakampi tayo, wag na tayo mag-away. Si-sige Maine kung talagang safe tumalon jan. I believe and trust you. Pero..."

Alden paused and faced her, "Baka pwede mo muna kaming turuan paano tumalon jan. First time naming tatalon eh." Alden said.

So Maine gave them a short lesson in cliff diving, "Idiretso nyo lang ang kamay nyo, paitaas o paloob sa katawan. Do not spread your arms." Maine told them to watch her jump so they'll know exactly where to jump.

She was about to jump when Alden held her hand, "Maine, pwede sabay tayo tumalon?"

Maine and Alden jumped simultaneously.

When it was Wally and Jose's turn, they lost their guts. Alden tried to encourage them but they still don't want to jump. Maine thought of a way for them to jump so she shouted, "May naririnig akong ingay! Baka nanjan na ang humahabol sa atin! Bahala na kayo!"

Wally and Jose panicked and quickly jump to the waterfalls together also, "Ahhhh!!!"

Maine and Alden helped them get out of the catch basin. The two was about to run but Maine stopped them and said she was just joking about the noise. Wall and Jose lie down on the big rocks catching their breath.

Maine told them they can rest there for the night. It is almost dark; it will be difficult for them to find their way out. She pulled out her dagger to catch some fish for dinner. Alden and Jose were able to dig some sweet potatoes and found some ripe bananas. Wally built their sleeping area. They built a bonfire for the night and eat together.

To be continued...