Prologue (1)

Just Let Me Go

Prologue (1)

* December 18, 2012 *

It was December. Snow falling gracefully to the ground. It was beautiful actually. Rhode Island was always beautiful this time a year, and cold as fuck. I was walking home from Books-A-Million where I work. I loved that book store, it's my favorite. It was always like a second home to me.

I carried a bag of food in my hand for me and my mom to share. Being 18 and moved out, I still visited my mom everyday because we live in the same neighborhood. She's fragile and alone ever since my dad died 3 years ago, due to a plane crash while coming home on a business trip in Canada. She was never really the same after that. Until she meet her boyfriend named Jev. He's good looking and is 35. Seems young right? Well my mom is in her 30's too. 33 to be exact. She had me when she was 15, my dad stayed with here through everything. I miss him a bunch. Jev makes her happy so I like him.

The roads were empty, only a few cars in sight. I looked both ways before crossing the street when a Honda Civic came out of no where and almost hit me. I screamed and the food crashed to the ground. I heard the engine cut off and a tall, muscular stud stepped out. He ran over to me, looking scared and sorry. "Oh my mother of Jesus fucking hell! Please tell me I didn't just hit a sexy beast?" he spoke, his voice deep and inviting. He did not just say that. Did he just say that? "No," I said, "but you do owe me new food you jerk! What the hell were you doing speeding like that?! I could have DIED!" I yelled at him. He looked shocked. "I'm so sorry, I was just so tired and I almost fell asleep." He apologized and help his arms out, "Can I get a hug? It makes me feel better." I looked at him. I do like tall guys, especially hugging them. I stepped forward hesitantly, and wrapped my arms around his middle. His embrace was so warm. "My name is Rixon by the way. What's yours?" he asked and my head rested on his chest. I pulled away and looked into his light blue eyes. "Brayden. Yeah I know it might be a boys name but my dad picked it out so I honor it." He nodded and said my name a couple of times, getting a good taste of it.

"Do you want me to take you back to the restaurant you bought the food at?" Rixon asked me. "Yeah, that'd be great. Oh, and your paying for it." He chuckled and lead me to his car. "What year is this Civic?" I asked in awe. He smiled at my, rubbing the dash board and resting his head on the stirring wheel, "2012 baby." he said. Wow. He must have a lot of cash if he could afford this. "My dad is Adam Levine. So, he bought this for my birthday." My jaw dropped, "From Maroon 5?" I asked. Rixon nodded his head yes. Whoa.

The engine roared to life, and we spread off to Black Pearl in Bannister's Wharf, Newport, Rhode Island. I love this place. Especially their Chowder. It's to die for.

Once we got there, it was almost closing time. We ran out of the car and into the restaurant. I ordered 2 Chowder's and a burger for Jev. He's allergic to sea food. While we waited on the food, me and Rixon took a seat at one of the tables.

It was kind of awkward since we didn't know each other so well. He broke the silence, "So... How old are you?" he asked. I looked up, "18. What about you?" He smiled and said 20. He didn't look 20 more like 25. "People mistake me for being older but it's just the way I matured." Rixon explained, as if reading my mind.

We learned a lot about each other by the time the food came. His favorite color is Cyan, he wants to name his first baby girl that, and he doesn't like horror movies because he shits his pants every time he sees one. Literally. I laughed at him when he told me. He blushed with embarrassment. He paid for the food and we left.

"Where do you live?" he asked. "Bird Song Cottage," I answered. He looked at me, "That is super close! Why were you walking?" he asked. I nodded, "I know, I like to walk. It helps me clear my mind." I explained.