The Portal

Someone's here. Someone's coming for me and my family, and they aren't friendly. Me and my mom and dad and sisters aren't safe. We all run to my room and close the door (which, now I realize was pointless because my room is the only room in the entire house that has a door with a broken lock that doesn't work). We all are cowering in my bed. Suddenly, with a thunderous BOoM the door falls down and in its place is a ghostly spirit. We throw whatever we've got in our hands at it.
It disappears... Then five men come storming into my room and grabbing my family by their shoulders and pushing them out of the room. They take us to our garage, where they've set up a machine that will generate a portal to an alternate dimension that they will keep us prisoner.
They push my little sister through the newly generated portal. My dad is next. After he's pushed through the purple swirling vortex, the men try to force me forward. I fight back and scream that I will not be going through the portal.
The leader who is operating the machine just smiles and says, "Fine, I guess she'll have to take the long way."
I know what "the long way" is. I flashback to a previous dream where "the long way" involved me injecting myself with gooey purple liquid from a large syringe and it hurt REALLY BAD it was excruciating...
I begin screaming at the men that I'll go through the portal and that I'll do anything to avoid taking the long way. But the man insists that its too late to apologize and go through the portal. I'm screaming and crying and begging them to let me go.
Suddenly, I get an idea. I'm dreaming! I force my mind to rewind the dream, back to the point where they are about to force me into the portal.
"Well played, dreamscaper." The leader says to me. He lets me go through the portal.
In the end I find out that the new and improved "long way" was simply eating chili flavored jell-o.