Welcome to the Team

Shinoa P.O.V

We sprint with brisk urgency toward the main square of Shinjuku. Yuu, Mika and the rest of the squad follow closely behind me; our goal is to rescue Guren from his recent possession. We are determined to free our comrade and family. I come to a sudden halt as we reach the buildings bordering the square. "Alright, everyone fall in line." I command and everyone surrounds me. A look of ferocity dwells in their innocent eyes. "Let's go over the plan one more time." They nod in unison. "We will lure him out into the open and then attack him head on. You will distract him long enough for me to enact the enchantment, forcing Mahiru out of his body. Then we will distract her, enabling Yuu and Kimizuki to retreat with Guren. Let's go!" I shout and we return to our attack formation.

Finally, we reach the city square. The Japanese Imperial Demon Army approaches from the East, the Vampires approach from the west. They halt upon meeting. They reach for their weapons in order to mount a full-scale assault. At the cusp of their tension, a voice interrupts. Our attention darts to the rubble of a decrepit concrete wall North of the square. A mysterious girl sits, perched atop the wall; one knee is bent and the other hangs over the edge. A dark black cape conceals her physique. She speaks tauntingly.

"Tsk... Tsk... The silly, arrogant humans and vampires are still fighting a war built on selfishness and lust. How pathetic. Don't you ever learn your lesson?" The monotony of her unimpressed tone lingers across the battlefield. The soldiers remain stationary, overcome by confusion. "Let's have some fun!" She moves from her position. Within seconds she turns into a blur and disappears. Suddenly, she appears beside Kureto. She floats above the ground, her finger pressed to her cheek in perplexity as she stares him up and down. She vanishes once again and appears behind Kureto. Their skin is a mere centimeter apart. She reaches her hand out and pulls at his hair. Soon, his reaction time kicks in and he thrusts his sword at the ground. His surroundings erupt in a fit of electricity. The expression on his face reveals obvious irritation, but the girl has vanished once again. She coughs under her breath, drawing our attention back to the crumbled wall. She lays sprawled along the wall's edge. "This is boring." She grumbles and yawns, wiping the sleep from her eyes.

"Who is that?" Yuu questions intently. I nod my head to let him know I am also confused. "Well whoever she is, I'm going to destroy her!" Yuu barks, but I grab his collar and pull him back. I have an eerie feeling about this girl.

"She is strong." I state, letting go of Yuu's collar. He pouts with discontent. Upon spotting Ferid Bathory, the girl dashes towards him. Ferid avoids her approach easily and twirls to a stop.

"Now this is better!" The mysterious girl rejoices. But, Kureto is not finished with her.

"Guren, destroy her." He commands with force. Guren steps forth from the mass of human soldiers. His eyes blaze a fiery red. He is not the Guren that we know and cherish. I feel the others gasp behind me out of excitement and fear. This is it. Suddenly, the girl in the black hood snaps her head towards me. I can feel her gaze pierce mine. In a matter of seconds she is drifting beside me. A cunning smile flickers in my peripheral. She is fast, I didn't even see her move. I reach for my weapon, but she disappears into the rubble of the derelict city. Guren bounds after her with bloodlust and insidious intent. We follow closely behind, unable to compete with their speed. When we arrive at the scene, it appears that Guren has cornered the evasive girl.

"Now!" I shout and the others assemble. We charge forward, our weapons cocked and ready for the kill. But, to no avail. Even as a team of 6, we are unable to land a strike on him. Out of nowhere I feel an arm wrap firmly around my waist and lift me into the air. I am set down in the 10th story window of a disheveled building. "What do you think you are doing?" I growl at the mysterious girl, but she remains unmoving. " Do you plan to kill me?" I question with fear echoing in every word. I point my weapon towards her.