You Promised...

Your P.O.V

Guren kneels facing me, his cargo shorts covered in dirt. He cries in agony as his leg is stepped on, the crushing of his kneecap undeniably audible. Kureto towers above him, his expression unwavering. Kureto yanks on Guren's raven locks causing his face to turn upwards. His brows are pushed firmly together, his eyes wince in agony. He grits his teeth to quell the burning sensation surging through his body. Kureto draws his sword from his side and places it an inch away from Guren's neck. They ambushed us. They separated us and targeted the weakest link. Without me Guren has no power to defend himself. Yuu steps forward to engage and Kureto presses his blade into Guren's icy flesh, causing a drop of blood to slide down the end of his sword. "I suggest you remain where you are if you want this wretched traitor to live." Kureto's expression remains unchanging. I can feel my palms begin to sweat and fear overtakes my body. The sight of Guren's tortured face brings me to my knees. I am crippled by the sharp spears in my chest. No, please no. "Fortunately there is a way to save this pathetic man's life. Return the demon girl to us." The air stills and dread looms over our heads.

"You're kidding yourself brother." Shinoa cries. She attempts to implore confidence but the tremors in her voice echo. The rest of the group chimes in to reinforce her demeanor. I can feel my heart flutter at their resolve to protect me. I have never had anyone who cared about me so dearly. They are my family. Guren is my family. I can feel my eyes water heavily. I clench my fists and shake uncontrollably.

"Don't... Don't do it (f/n). Run... Protect yourself..." Guren manages to choke out between gasps for air. Kureto tugs on him tighter, causing him to scream out. I can't bear the pain anymore; I can't stand here and watch him suffer. I feel a burning sensation rise in my stomach and I look forward without hesitation. I will protect Guren. Nobody will lay a finger on him. I throw my cape to the side in a fit of rage. I step forward again and unbuckle my sword scabbard to throw it to the ground. The clattering echoes through the rigid air. Everyone stares towards me in terror.

"I will return with you so let Guren go." I scream at the top of my lungs. I can hear Guren mutter the word 'no' as he is tossed aside like a rag. Kureto smirks victoriously and motions for the others to attach my restraints. Guren staggers as he tries to stand. I see him reach his arms out to me, his wrists shaking. Kureto raises his left leg and thrusts forward, colliding with my stomach. The wind is knocked from my lungs and I hunch over to cough. I wince and look up at Kureto with hatred. He smiles at me and then the world goes black. The last thing I hear is the sound of Guren calling my name.

Guren.

Everything will be alright, I promise.

You're safe now.

I'm happy. I'm relieved.

I see Guren's face materialize before me. I reach out and caress his cheek. His hand cups mine and I look deeply into his eyes. He smiles warmly and my stomach reverses until I feel like I'm flying.

What is this feeling? It can't be.

I smile to myself. How could I have been so blind? All this while, denying how I felt inside. I need to tell him how I feel. I open my mouth to speak but the words are vacant from the air. I can't breathe. I clutch at my chest and begin to panic. I look to Guren but his brow is furrowed and his eyes are iced over with fear.

No. Don't make such an expression.

He reaches out to me and I try to grab his hand. But, he begins to disappear and a single tear rolls down his cheek.