A Demon's Mark

Your P.O.V

I stare out at the deserted city beneath me. The window is slightly foggy from the dust settlement along the building's edge. I clutch the windowpane with all the force left in my fatigued body. What is this feeling? I question as I claw at my chest. The searing flames within me move from my center and into my throat. I cough at the intensity. I begin to sweat and my eyes widen in panic. I freeze when I hear the door slide open behind me. No. Stop. I hear heavy footsteps approach me from behind.

"Why aren't you out celebrating. Everyone misses you. Our victory is due to your efforts." Guren exults without worry. I can feel my skin start to tremble with concern.

"You need to leave." I state with urgency, my voice devoid of emotion. He halts in his tracks. I can feel his relaxed demeanor transition to apprehension. I shut my eyes in order to suppress the unappeased lust in my veins. Suddenly, his scent fills the room. The aroma of sweet lilac winding through my nostrils leaves me intoxicated. I grab my throat until I draw blood from beneath my fingernails. I cough and spit trying to quell my urges. Then, a hand encases mine and frees my throat from my wretched grasp. I can feel his breath against my skin and I shiver at the intimate touch. He wraps his arms around my shoulders and exhales into my ear.

"Mika said that you were in pain." He releases me and floats over to the bed where he seats himself. He waits intently for my answer. I look down at my soiled palms. I really am a monster. I feel tears form in the corners of my eyes and roll down my trembling cheeks. I turn towards him and my tears are flung from my swollen eyes. Upon seeing my expression, Guren's expression turns to one of distain. I fall to my knees and sob into my hands. I mumble as I try to speak. I can just barely hear his words over the sound of my muted sobs. "You shouldn't have to suffer anymore. It's like you said. Mika, as a vampire, is able to survive because Yuu gives him his blood. It is the same for you. You need blood to survive, but that does not make you a monster. So please, let me help you." Guren speaks without hesitation in his voice. He reaches for the sleeve of his white button up and I wince at his exposed skin. No imperfections are visible, just like an alabaster statue. I trace my tongue along my bottom lip in temptation. I try to resist the urge but to no avail. He lifts his wrist up towards me, encouraging me to indulge. I ignore his forearm and lunge forward, losing all control of my senses. The world around me turns into a blur and I plunge my sharp fangs into the nape of his neck. I push my body into him and let the flavor of rusted metal explode against my tongue. The taste is intoxicating and I feel my hunger gently fade. He wraps his arms around me to pull me tighter and nuzzles his face into the crook of my neck. "I will make sure you never feel any pain again. I will always protect you (f/n)." He whispers into my ear and exhales to hide his discomfort. The way the syllables of my name roll off his tongue sends a shiver down my back.

Slowly, his eyelids flutter and I remove my bite. I try to escape but his grip around me is too tight. He drifts into slumber with me wrapped snugly in his arms. I give up on resisting and wrap myself in his warmth. For once I am able to drift to sleep peacefully.

I rub my eyes in order to regain my vision, but my sight remains blurry. I look towards the clock and the time reads 12:05pm. I grunt to myself realizing I will have to explain our tardiness to the rest of the squad. Guren stirs beside me and sits up groggily. He grabs me by the wrist and pulls me out of bed. We stumble down the hallway, still half asleep, and enter the main living space. The others stop and stare with condescending and snide grins. Our disheveled clothes and messy hair do not do us any favors. Yuu strolls towards us and prods suspiciously. "Well it looks like you two had a little too much fun last night." I can see Mitsuba gag behind him and I blush lightly. I try to speak to reaffirm their assertions, but Guren cuts me off.

"You're just jealous because you never get any action." He jests and winks. My brow furrows with frustration. "It's a rough life when you're such a ladies man." He ruffles his bangs with his hand. I snicker to myself.

"It's a wonder how you manage to fight at all." I hiss and Guren looks at me out of confusion. "You would think the size of your head would slow you down. Be careful, if your ego inflates anymore you might not fit through the door." The room erupts into laughter around me. Yuu practically chokes on his chuckles. Guren stands dumbfounded, taken aback by the sudden insult. "A demon should be able to spit venom, it's in our nature. There was no so called fun, I simply drank this airhead's blood." I shoot back and smile cynically to myself. The others' eyes widen at the sudden tribulation. Mika exhales a sigh of relief, sympathizing with my past torture. After snapping himself out of his trance, Guren proceeds to threaten me in rebuke.

"If you upset me then I'll just have to punish you. Don't forget that I control your food source." He pulls his collar down to reveal the two nibble marks and their encasing bruise. I growl with anger, but manage to maintain my composure. Guren closes his eyes and exults with triumph, but I am not finished. I pounce forward and fly across the room. I press Guren against the wall with one hand on either side, trapping him.

Guren's P.O.V

I close my eyes and smile to myself at my witty comment. But, before I can react, I am pressed firmly against the wall. (f/n) has me trapped, her arms caging me so I cannot escape. I look down towards her and for the first time I notice that her eyes are a burning crimson. From the simple taste of a humans blood her irises dance like flames in the sunlight. I am mesmerized by her beauty and reach my hand out to touch her cheek. I recoil when I see her bear her fangs. Her eyes flicker with devilish intent and she leans in closer. "Did you really think I needed your permission to dine? I dare you to try to stop me." She vaunts, her mouth mere millimeters away from my flesh. I feel her breath brush against my neck and I blush a heavy rose. Her dominance makes my stomach flutter and my body tingle. She pulls away and covers her mouth to stifle her laugh. Unable to control herself she bursts into hysterical laughter and the others join her. The maniacal tension is lifted, but I still remained flustered. My rosy cheeks are undeniable. (f/n) walks towards the kitchen with Kimizuki in order to prepare lunch. The rest of the group lounges about and mocks me with chatter. I spot Shinya edging closer to me in my peripheral. He cocks his head towards me and jests.

"Well if (f/n) is ever in need of a drink, I would be more than inclined to let her take a nibble." He prods at me in order to evoke a reaction. I remain unflustered and continue to stare aimlessly in the direction where (f/n) left the room. My heart beat races and my chest is set ablaze with emotion. "Aw, you aren't going to get jealous? Not even a little bit irritated?" Shinya presses my eyebrows together with his finger, forcing them to furrow. He pouts with dissatisfaction at my unwavering resolve and I turn to him with a tender yet patronizing expression.

"There is no need to get jealous because she will not be drinking your blood, or anyone else's for that matter." I hiss and Shinya stares at me with misunderstanding. "I am the one she has marked as her own."