f o u r

2 0 0 9

2 0 0 9

Effy stood at the edge of the cliff. The river below was vicious and wild. Waves crashed against the jagged bed of rocks. She bit her lip as she lifting her small foot and hovered it over the edge. The wind picked and she rocked. But never did she put her foot back. Her eyes were drawn in at the violent waves below. She wondered what it'd feel like to jump. From this height, would the fall alone kill her? Or merely leave her paralyzed from the neck down? That'd sure make it easy to drown in the water. Just the thought of such a scene left her heart racing.

Dean slowly moved closer as gently and quietly as possible. He had his hands held out, palms open facing Effy's back. Sneaking in behind her.

Suddenly he shoved her forward.

Effy screamed.

"Saved your life!" he laughed as he grabbed her arms before she could fall over the edge and yanked her back. She stumbled and fell on her butt with an 'oof.' Accidentally biting down on her tongue from the impact.

Effy pouted as she watched Dean grip his stomach and bend over, laughing hysterically.

"That's not funny Dean!" she grumbled and pushed up off the floor. She brushed dirt off her bum with tightly knitted eyebrows. Dean only giggled at her. Now that she was stood and close enough, she instantly noticed the black and blue cut on his bottom lip. 

"What happened to your lip?" She pointed a chubby finger.

Dean's laughter came to a dry halt. He pressed his lips together as he shoved his hands in his jacket pockets and shrugged his shoulders. "D'you bring it?" he changed the subject.

Effy wanted to ask again, but knowing she'd most likely get no answer she decided to let it go. "Yeah." Effy nodded as she slipped her backpack off her slim shoulder and plopped it on the ground by her feet. She unzipped it and pulled out one of the state books her dad had gotten for her before he left. Dean took the book and sat on the toppled over tree trunk. His feet dangling in the air.

"Why d'you want an Idaho state book?" Effy asked as she sat beside him.

"Last night I overheard my mom talking to my aunt Lisa, stupid bitch."

Effy bit on her lip as she turned to Dean with a hesitant look. "You shouldn't say stuff like that," she muttered nervously.

"Its what my dad calls her," Dean said simply. Seeing no problem with it. He shrugged and went back to flipping pages. "Anyways, I heard them talking about living in Idaho, what it's like there."

"You moving?"

Dean shrugged as he nibbled on his lip. "I dunno know. Maybe. Depends."