Chapter 8

The city wasn't what I'd imagined. It was definitely as busy as I'd thought... but it still felt a little empty. I did miss home and those who occupied it but I wouldn't be going back. Not now, not ever. Maybe if I could find a tavern I could find work. I needed money to be able to feed myself. The loaf of bread I'd taken from home was nearly gone.

I could tell it had rained in Chinon recently, probably yesterday, because when a man rolled past me in his horse drawn carriage, mud was splashed up onto the skirt of my dress

I could tell it had rained in Chinon recently, probably yesterday, because when a man rolled past me in his horse drawn carriage, mud was splashed up onto the skirt of my dress. Not that my dress was clean, by any means, but I really dint appreciate the added muck. "Watch where you're going!" I called after him. I immediately regretted it when the carriage rolled to a stop and a regal looking man stepped out.

He approached me with fast and determined steps. He was the cleanest person I'd ever seen with his spotless pale face, neatly combed blond hair that end in a slight curl at his shoulders and his crisp outfit. I could have sworn I'd seen a red flash on the soles of his shoes. "I'm sorry," He said, taking me off guard. He looked down at my soiled dress. "If you come with me I could have it cleaned for you."

I took a step back. I'd strapped the sword to my leg under my skirt before I'd entered the city so every step I took seemed like a limo. "I heard the stories of ladies getting snatched from the streets!" I hissed. "I'm not falling for that!"

The man took a step towards me. "I'd hardly call you a lady." He smirked, looking me up and down. "You're very... grubby."

"I'll try not to be offended by that." I retort, hands on my hips.

"Sharp tongue, too." He points out.

"Oh bite me." I attempt to brush past him but he stops me.

"Do you need a job?" He asks, calmly. "You look like you're new around here."

We'd drawn attention to ourselves. "I'm going to find a tavern to work in." I snap defensively. "I don't need some stranger to help me."

"Trust me," I wanted to scoff when he said that but held myself back. "You don't want to be working anywhere around here. A lot of scumbags lurk in the shadows. It'd be a shame to see a pretty face like yours ruined... even if it is already stained with grime."

"Are you offering to employ me?" I narrow my eyes, lowering my voice.

"That's right. Nice of you to catch on, by the way."

I bite back a snide comment. "And what will you have me do," I ask. "Become your own, personal fancy lady?"

"It's much better than being some strange man's fancy lady, no?" He raises an eyebrow, a smile quirking at his pink lips.

"You are a strange man," I counter. "But I suppose I understand what you're saying."

"Good. At least you have even the smallest bit of sense in you." The man smiles. "But you will not be are fancy lady; you will be are kitchen maid... if you accept the job, that is."

"What did you say your name was?" I ask. I must know the name of my employer before he employs me, shouldn't I?

"I didn't." He begins to walk back towards his carriage. I limp after him as quickly as possible. "Francis Bonnefoy." He turns around, watching me limp towards him with an amused smile. "And you are..?" He steps up into the carriage and offers me his hand.

"Jeanne d'Arc." I take the hand he'd offered me and pulled myself up.