Chapter 11

Francis Bonnefoy had been stared at me the entire ride back to his estate.  He didn't say a word to me.  His staring makes the back of my neck tingle.  I'm not sure why, though.  "Why did you come to the city?" He asks suddenly.

I look up, hesitating to answer for a moment.  "I wanted to be free to help my people."

Francis smiles.  "That's very noble of you... but I'm not sure a woman will be able to do much in the way of helping a country."

I glare at him.  "Watch me." I snap.  His smile only grows as he turns his head to watch out the window of the coach.  We sit in silence for a good twenty minutes before a thought occurs to me.  "What day is it?"

Francis raises his eyebrows slightly.  "You don't know what day it is?" He sounds smug.

"I haven't really been keeping track." I counter.  In my defence, I'd been so wound up and angry I didn't bother the count the number of days I had been on the road. 

"The sixth of January 1430." Francis says gently.  "Why do you ask.

I bite the inside of my cheek and turn my attention out the window.  "It's my birthday." I say after a moment as an afterthought.  Somewhere in the back of my mind I wonder if my mother is thinking about me.

  Somewhere in the back of my mind I wonder if my mother is thinking about me