Chapter 10

Francis knocks on my door Sunday afternoon. I look up from my laptop and watch Marianne sashay across the kitchen to the door and yanked it open. "Bonjour," Francis greets her in his luxurious voice.

I stand up. "Francis!" I smile. He looks over Marianne's shoulder and smiles back. "Is everything alright?" I maneuver myself around the kitchen table and walk towards the two French people standing in the doorway.

"Dérange nous pas." Marianne hisses and tries to shut the door in Francis' face but I reach out and catch it.

"No," I frown at Marianne. "I want him to stay." I nod into the appartement with my chin. "Come on in, Francis.

Marianne scoffed and stomps back into the appartement, throwing herself down onto a small red fabric chesterfield.  Francis smirked and made his way in.  "Thank you." He said.  I had to hold back a giggle at his accent.  "However, I only stopped by to ask if we could make a small change to your schedule and perhaps you could come in and work tonight?"

"Ah non!" Marianne springs to her feet, brandishing a perfectly manicured finger in Francis' direction.  "Ce soir est à moi, alors fous le camps gros poileux!"

Francis raised and eyebrow in amusement but didn't say a word.  I turned to Marianne's approaching form and held her back with a firm hand on her shoulder.  "I have no idea what you just said to him but I suspect it wasn't very nice." I frown at her. 

"I said he doesn't get you tonight." Her glare jumps between Francis and me.  "You promised you'd spend the night out with me.  And plus you said the restaurant wasn't even open on Sundays!" Marianne's voice wavers slightly as she becomes more passionate. 

I frown.  That was ture... the restaurant wasn't open on Sundays... I turn to Francis.  He smiles.  "I was going to prepare for tomorrow you know cut vegetables, start the dishes that take a little bit of extra time-"

"Fais le seul." Marianne spits. 

I roll my eyes and turn to Francis.  "I'm sorry, I did promise I'd spend the night with Marianne."

Francis waves away my concern.  "It's fine." He turns back towards the door and opens it.  In a moment il of hesitation he turns back towards me with a concerned look on his face.  "Be safe."

===

"So... we're not going out tonight?"

Marianne shakes her head.  "We are, but not to work." She quickly pulls her hair away from her face before doing up her coat.  "I have a surprise for you." She smiles.  She had painted her lips a pale shade of coral instead of her usual vibrant red. 

I return her smile.  "So what is this surprise?"

Marianne walks over to me and flicks my hair out of my face.  "Non.  Nous allons au cinéma." She pulls a hair clip out of nowhere and pins my hair back. 

"The theater?" I pause.  "I haven't been since I moved here.  All the movies are in French and-"

"And it will give you a chance to practice the language." Marianne interjects. 

I nod slowly.  "Good point.  Then maybe Francis could promote me to... well... not a kitchen job.  "Alright." I smile.  "Lead the way."

Marianne smiles and cooks her head to the side before turning towards the front door.  "Let's go."