Chapter Three

P L E A S E --- V O T E

~Chapter Three~

Light came filtering in through my closed eyelids, and I grumbled and rolled over, slowly opening my eyes. In my sleepy daze, I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and checked the time.

8:15am.

My heart almost beat out of my chest, and I shot up and threw the covers over to the side. I only had 15 minutes until my next class!

I stumbled into the nearby bathroom and flicked on the lightswitch. Makeup, bobby pins, straighteners, curlers, and assorted bottles were scattered across the counter, and I groaned, knowing it was my stupid roomate who'd left this mess. Having no patience whatsever, I swiped all of the junk over to one side of the counter with my arm and plopped my makeup bag down and set to work.

After 10 minutes, I was dressed, fed (from a quick pop-tart fix), and in complete disguise. I slipped on my flats, smoothed out my loose sweater, skinny jeans, and ajusted my messy bun. I was incredibly uncomfortable and feeling a bit too... feminine for my liking, but it was something I was going to have to get used to.

Finally, my phone, schedule, cold frappicino, and campus map in hand, I was out the door and on my way to my first class, with 5 minutes to spare.

......

I knocked on the door to Literature just as the tardy bell rang and sighed in relief. A kind looking women with greying hair and a thin stature opened the door and gave me a warm smile.

"Hello," She greeted me, "May I ask who you are?"

"Veronica Branshire," I told her. "I'm new here."

"Ah yes, I've been expecting you," The women said and opened the door wider so I could come into her classroom. She led me to the front of the room, so that I was facing the rows of other girls, all staring at me with blank faces, except for Sadie, who was sitting in the far corner, smirking.

"Ladies, I'd like you all to give a warm welcome to Veronica. She'll be joining us today, and she's new," The women addressed the class, and they all mumbled their "hello"s.

"Hello," I said quietly, and Sadie snickered. I felt my blood pressure rise.

"My name is Ms. Johnson," The lady told me, then scanned the room.

"You can have a seat over there by Sadie."

I gulped and made my way over to my seat, which was to the left of the seat in front of Sadie. Reluctantly, I set my things down and slid into the plastic chair.

Thirty minutes into class, I was doing just fine, and hadn't been bothered by Sadie and the other girls. I guess I jinxed in because seconds later I felt a paper ball bounce off my back.

I stiffened. Sadie snickered.

"Well aren't you going to pick it up?" Sadie sneered, and I heard another girl chuckle. slowly, I turned in my seat and picked up the crumpled notebook paper from the floor. as I was coming up, my eyes met with who I was guessing to be the other girl. she had dark skin and the prettiest hair I'd ever seen, but that was all ruined by the ugly mocking expression on her face.

Opening the note, I tried to make as little noise as possible, despite the crinkles in the paper.

"Sadie Styles is the biggest slut to ever grace the earth."

I furrowed my brow and chewed ok the eraser of my pencil. If Sadie have me this note, then why is it written about her?

After pondering the note for a few more seconds, I noticed that the room had become deathly silent and glance up. Ms. Johnson had stopped talking, and was looking questioningly at me, as well a the rest of the class.

"Is there something you wish to share with us, Ms. Branshire?"

That wasn't a question, it was an order.

"I-" I started, but it was too late. Ms. Johnson was already taking long strides towards me.

"Let me see this," She said in a suddenly harsher tone, and snatched the paper from my hand. nervousness ripped through my stomach.

Once she reached the front of the classroom, Ms. Johnson faced us and cleared her throat. Agonizingly slowly, she smoothed out the paper and recited its message to the class.

"'Sadie Styles is the biggest slut to ever grace the earth.'" Ms. Johnson had this creepy happy look on her face.

"Veronica, despite how accurate this statement might be," the class simultaneously gasped, and a few people giggled. I stole a glance at Sadie, who was stone-faced and had her arms crossed over her chest. Ms. Johnson smirked herself before continuing.

"What would urge you write such a note?"

The class fell silent and awaited my answer.

"I- um-" I stuttered. what was I supposed to say?

"Well, no matter what your answer is, I have no choice but to give you afternoon detention. Come back to my room after your last class," Ms. Johnson said, and I nodded and went back to my seat.

Sadie didn't say or do another thing to me the rest of class.

•••

*7 HOURS LATER*

By last period, my eyelids were beginning to sag, despite my long hours of sleep. My classes weren't too difficult, but were very rigorous. Plus, I had detention on top of it all.

Once again, I was back in Ms. Johnson's room, which was now mostly empty, except for a girl in all black who way in the far back corner, obsessively making marks on her desk in Sharpie.

I took a seat on the opposite end, and slid into the seat. The detention instructions were on the board: no talking, no phones, do school work or sleep. I obviously chose the latter.

Laying my head down, I closed my eyes and tried to clear my head. the only sounds were the ticking of the wall clock and the swishing sound of the girl's pen.

That was, until a blood-curdling scream echoed through the halls.

•••

A/N:

Happy Halloween :)

We don't have wifi at my house today because we're upgrading to a faster one!!

P L E A S E --- V O T E

mckenzie