Chapter Five

Days had passed when Flemeth awoke me and took the form of a mighty dragon that towered over me, striking a small amount of fear in my heart as I briefly gazed upon the powerful form that stood before me. Hesitantly, I grabbed the wooden staff she had given me and we took flight. I wore barely any armour to protect myself and yet, I was far from afraid of being injured for I had faith in my skill.
"There is a red lyrium mine in the Hinderlands, I want you to destroy it. There will be many red templars to fight. More than you have ever fought but I have faith that you will succeed in destroying the mine," Flemeth had told me that morning. Her words danced in my mind as we travelled towards the Hinderlands and away from our home in the mountains.
The cold winds brushed against my skin, causing my hairs to stand on ends as the beautiful Redcliff castle came into view. My heart paused briefly as the magnificent castle stood proudly below me as we flew over it, life bustled within its walls as the people went about their daily lives as the morning sun rose, waking them from their slumber.
"Why do they seem so oblivious to the dangers around them? Everything down there, it seems-" I began before she interrupted me, her words almost like another train of thought in my mind as they seemed to invade my consciousness briefly.
"They are not oblivious child, they are suffering from a sense of defeat. Deep in their hearts, they have already given up. Though they won't admit it, they believe that the inquisitor will fail"
"What do you believe, Flemeth?"
"I believe that the inquisitor cannot fail, if she does, the world shall no longer exist"
"Do you believe the inquisitor will succeed?" I asked causing her to pause briefly, almost as though she didn't wish to answer me.
"I don't know if she will succeed but I believe that with your help, she has the best chance at succeeding"
"I hope you're right,"
"As do I," she continued as she lowered to the ground close to the old elven ruins that caused shivers to roll down my spine as I stared upon the beautifully carved stone doors that stood before me, "this is as far as I shall be able to go with you"
"You're not going to help?"
"I cannot, you must learn from each battle. I have faith in you that you will succeed with this quest,"
"I hope you're right," I muttered quietly as I stared upon the large doors that towered before me, the ancient carvings that spoke a language and a story that had long been forgotten though I wished that it hadn't been. Slowly, I approached the carvings and gently touched them with my index finger, wishing with all of my heart that I could read them and understand the stories they told.
The sudden blast of wind touched my back, forcing me forward slightly as Flemeth took flight once again, leaving me behind.
"Use the ruins to enter the mine, they will not be aware of your presence until it is too late," her voice invaded my mind once more and slowly I nodded, silently dreading what was to come. My heart pounding in my chest, I used the mechanism of the ruins to open the doors before hesitantly entering the dark, damp forgotten world. Carefully, I lifted my hand, being careful not to disturb anything as the magic that filled my body, spreading through my body with every beat of my heart, being the very blood that coursed through my veins, and allowing the mark upon my wrist to glow blue, lighting my way as I slowly walked.
Briefly I paused as I inhaled a deep breath in a pathetic attempt to calm my nerves as the ominous red glow grew brighter and brighter and the corpse of a hideously disfigured creature lay upon the ground near the small opening of the cave. Carefully, I scooted through the gap and fell towards the glowing red, my heart growing more and more violent with every beat as I landed on my feet in the centre of the red Templars.
Some appeared to wander aimlessly whilst equally corrupt yet smaller beings mined the dangerous red stone. The sound of my landing alerted all those around me of my presence and suddenly, swords were drawn sending a shiver of terror rolling down my spine.
Do something! I have to do something! My mind screamed as they slowly approached me whilst I remained frozen into place, finding myself unable to move as I stood there. Do something! Anything!