Chapter Four

The sun rose, painting the sky in splashes of all different colours. The rise of the sun was the most beautiful scene, my eyes had ever laid eyes upon and I was certain that nothing could have been as stunning.

"The dawn will come,"

The song played in my mind, in the voice that first began singing and no other. My heart felt as though it had stopped beating for a moment as I stood and approached the edge of the top of the mountain and gazed upon the beauty that was the sun rise.

"I see that you have woken," said Flemeth, her voice rising from behind me.

"The dawn has come," I muttered.

"As it does every morning, yes," replied Flemeth.

"Last night, in my dreams, I saw things. People sang of the dawn coming as they crowded around a single woman. A woman who looked just like me, only older,"

"An elven woman?" Asked Flemeth, I turned to look at her, my face portraying the confusion I felt, "a woman with pointed ears, much like your own and a mark that resembles yours, only green instead of blue,"

"Yes,"

"That is the inquisitor that you saw. A beacon of hope for some and to others, a threat,"

"Why did she look so much like me?" I asked as Flemeth motioned for me to follow her and I did exactly that.

"We must do something about your hair," she motioned for me to sit upon the floor in front of a rock and I did exactly as she wanted before she leant against the rock and began to brush my long white hair, "you cannot risk someone being able to grab it during battle,"

She began to cut my hair, shorter and shorter and though I wasn't keen on the idea of having shorter hair as I had grown to like it already.

"I don't know why you resemble the inquisitor in appearance though it does intrigue me," said Flemeth, breaking the silence that had formed between us.

"Is it wrong for me to be afraid?"

"No, it is never wrong to be afraid,"

"I am though I don't know why," I muttered as I stared at the ground.

"You have much to be afraid off, however for as long as I am here, you're safe, child born of the fade," replied Flemeth, her voice soft and warm with comfort.

"Thank you," I muttered as a small smile grew upon my lips, "may I have a name?"

"Have you chosen one?"

"I am unsure," I paused for a moment as the song from my dream continued to sing in my mind, "in my dream last night, they sang words of inspiration and I felt as though I was supposed to be there, helping them,"

"You feel drawn to the inquisition but you cannot join them yet, you are not ready and neither are they," replied Flemeth.

"Shadows fall,

And hope has fled,

Steal your heart,

The dawn will come,"

I sang the words in a soft, hushed voice and even so, the words echoed around us.

"It does sound rather inspirational," Flemeth agreed with a soft smile as she plaited my hair and a long moment of silence passed between us before I spoke,

"I wish to be called Dawn,"

"Are you certain?"

"Dawn brings hope," I said as she finished plaiting my hair, allowing me to stand. I walked towards the edge of the mountain top for a second time, "and I want to do the same, I want to bring hope,"

"Dawn, we have much to preparation to make," said Flemeth as she approached me.

The days and weeks that followed that day were exhausting as Flemeth shared much of her knowledge with me. Many days were spent, studying books and learning about the world that I had become a part of. Other days, Flemeth dropped me into the middle of battle and left me to fight the red templars, as she called them, alone. Each time ended the same way as I left their corpses, the red lyrium that had once grown from their skin was no more.

Each night, I collapsed in camp with no more energy to spare as I slept. Every day and night that passed, I dreamt of the inquisitor and many times, I found myself running from Cole whilst feeling something tug at my soul, calling for me to be closer to the inquisition though I was unsure as to why.

"You are improving greatly," Flemeth said as I sat at the edge of the mountain, looking out at the horizon. Though we had moved over the weeks, we remained cautious. Hiding in the caves on the mountain tops.

"Thank you,"

"You are wondering, are you not?"

"My lungs have breath and my heart beats just as it has done for many weeks now and yet, I still have no answers to the questions that have risen since my awakening," I replied. I jumped from the rock and turned to face her, "I wish that I knew of who my parents are, where they come from,"

"Those are things only you can discover in time,"

"I know," I muttered and a brief moment of silence passed before Flemeth spoke again,

"The inquisition have noticed the bodies you have left behind and I believe that they are launching a full investigation to discover who you are,"

"Should I be worried?"

"No, but if they find you, do not approach them. Travel through the fade and return to me. You are far from ready and I fear for your safety,"

"I will not approach them, I promise Flemeth,"